1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature variation of resistance

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    So the problem Im working on is.. A 100 cm long copper wire of radius 0.45 cm has a potential difference across it sufficient to produce a current of 5.0 A at 20°C. Find a) What is the potential difference. b) If the temperature of the wire is increased to 200°C, what potential difference is now required to produce a current of 5.0 A

I solved part a easily by finding the resistance of the wire and plugging that into V=IR with the solution being 1.34mV.

Now for part b i used the equation R=R0[1+alpha(T-T00)] and plugged back into V=IR but my solution keeps coming out wrong... please help me out here im totally confused...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Where did you get your first answer? What is the driving potential?

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    The first part you use R= resistivity* L/A. This gives you the resistance and with the currecnt use V=IR to solve for potential difference...

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    anyone?...

6. Oct 2, 2008 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I get a different answer for the initial resistance then. I used 16.8 nΩm and I get 3.73 x 10-4Ω.

What value of α are you using?

7. Oct 2, 2008 #6
    well my answer is correct according to the book...the value for the resistivity of copper im using is 1.7E-8

8. Oct 2, 2008 #7

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Yes. You're right. I made an error calculating the area. Sorry.

Now what are you using for your temperature α ?

I have 3.9 x 10-3 per degree C for copper.

9. Oct 2, 2008 #8
    That's what I'm using as well, getting a new resistance of .04824 and then getting a potential difference of 241.24mV which is coming out wrong for some reason

10. Oct 2, 2008 #9

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Using the calculator at
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/restmp.html

I get 4.56 x 10-4Ω (using the 2.68 x 10-4 Ω for 20 C)

That yields 2.28 mV.

11. Oct 2, 2008 #10
    hmm that worked..do u know why my calculator is not computing these correctly?

12. Oct 2, 2008 #11

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You have to be careful with the powers of 10. Looks like you might have dropped a 0 somewhere in entering the numbers. Sometimes these problems unfortunately become more about arithmetic than physics. Just be careful is the only advice I can give, but then I guess you already know that.

13. Oct 2, 2008 #12
    thank you...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?