Tension and Horizontal Circular Motion

In summary, two wires are tied to the 500 g sphere shown in figure. The sphere revolves in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 8.40 m/s. The tension in each wire acts along the wire, and there are horizontal and vertical components. The circular motion simply adds a horizontal force to the sphere.
SeanAmI122886
Two wires are tied to the 500 g sphere shown in figure.The sphere revolves in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 8.40 m/s.

The two wires part of it is throwing me off.
I can do it if it was just one string or two strings if it isn't moving but I am not sure how to do it with circular motion.

Picture of the figure is attached and here is a link if that does not work.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1000599/6/knight_Figure_07_61.jpg

Attachments

• knight_Figure_07_61.jpg
    knight_Figure_07_61.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 618
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, one writes a force vector diagram, and then resolves the vectors into horizontal (x or r) and vertical (y) components.

The sphere experiences an outward force, mv2/r and in a gravity field, a downward force mg (its weight).

The wires hold (pull in tension) the sphere to the pole. The tension in each wire acts along the wire, and there are horizontal and vertical components.

The circular motion simply adds a horizontal force to the sphere.

Wouldn't I have to incorporate the angle of the rope and such.
I don't think I quite grasp what you are saying.

SeanAmI122886 said:
Wouldn't I have to incorporate the angle of the rope and such.
I don't think I quite grasp what you are saying.
Yes, one must use angles, which can be determined geometrically from the dimensions, then use the appropriate trigonometric function (sin or cos) depending on whether or not the angle is taken with respect to horizontal or vertical, which is the convention.

For instance, the wires form a triangle. Find the angles of the wires with respect to the horizontal. Then the vertical component of tension T is just T sin(theta), and the horiontal component is T cos(theta), where theta is the angle with respect to the horizontal.

Gravity acts in the vertical and the centripetal force is horizontal, in the plane of revolution of the mass.

im having trouble with this same problem...

i don't know what I'm doing wrong...

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 959

1. What is tension in horizontal circular motion?

Tension is the force that pulls on an object in a circular path, keeping it moving in a circular motion. In horizontal circular motion, the tension acts perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

2. How does tension affect the speed of an object in horizontal circular motion?

Tension does not directly affect the speed of an object in horizontal circular motion. Instead, it helps maintain the object's velocity by constantly changing its direction, keeping it moving in a circular path.

3. What is the relationship between the radius of the circle and the tension in horizontal circular motion?

The tension in horizontal circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the tension also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be represented by the equation T = mv2/r, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. Can the tension in horizontal circular motion ever be zero?

No, the tension in horizontal circular motion can never be zero. This is because tension is required to keep the object moving in a circular path. If the tension were to become zero, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circle.

5. How does the mass of an object affect the tension in horizontal circular motion?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the tension in horizontal circular motion. However, a heavier object would require a greater amount of tension to maintain its circular motion, as seen in the equation T = mv2/r. Therefore, the tension indirectly depends on the mass of the object.