Tension In musical strings and wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension needed for a string to produce sound with a wavelength of 3.39cm in its second overtone. The speed of sound in the room is 344m/s and the linear density of the string is 8.79g/79cm. The frequency of the sound and vibration is found using v=f*lambda, and then used in formulas for the vibrating string. There is some confusion about which velocity to use for the equations and the role of the wavelength and overtone.
jrjay09

Homework Statement

One string of a certain musical instrument is 79.0cm long and has a mass of 8.79g . It is being played in a room where the speed of sound is 344m/s .
A)To what tension must you adjust the string so that, when vibrating in its second overtone, it produces sound of wavelength 3.39cm ?
B)What frequency sound does this string produce in its fundamental mode of vibration?

Homework Equations

v=sqroot(Tension/linear density), linear Density=m/L, v=(f)(lamda)=(omega)/k, k=2(pi)/(lamda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep trying to get out a way to find T but always end up reducing an eqaution to something pointless such as f=f or (lamda)=(lamda). My real problem is a concept one...Is the v used in equations the speed of sound in the room (334m/s) and when finding linear density do I use .79m or .0339m as the length. Please respond..anything helps and thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The v must be the velocity of the wave on the string when referring to the wave on the string. But use 344 m/s for the sound "of wavelength 3.39 cm". Use 8.79g/79 cm (in standard units) for the linear density of the string.

I tried using 344m/s as the v in the eqaution v=sqroot(Tension/linear denstiy)

so... v^2 = Tension/Linear Density
so... Tension= v^2 (linear Density) => tension= (344m/s^2)(.00879kg/.79m)=1316.67N.
However when I tried that it was wrong. I am still confused about the "of wavelength 3.39cm" and the second overtone. Don't they need to come into the problem too? Thank you

I tried using 344m/s as the v in the eqaution v=sqroot(Tension/linear denstiy)

You are mixing the sound and the vibration on the string incorrectly.
The thing they have in common is the frequency. Use v = f*lambda for the sound with v=344 and lambda = .0339 to get the frequency for both the wave AND the vibration. Then use that frequency with formulas that apply to the vibrating string.

1. What causes tension in musical strings?

Tension in musical strings is caused by the force applied to the strings when they are stretched or pulled. This force is usually created by tuning pegs or other mechanisms on the instrument.

2. How does tension affect the sound of a string instrument?

The tension in a string directly affects the pitch and tone of the instrument. The tighter the string, the higher the pitch and the brighter the tone. Looser strings produce lower pitches and a more mellow tone.

3. What is the relationship between tension and wavelength in a string?

The tension and wavelength of a string are inversely proportional. This means that as tension increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does changing the tension of a string affect its wavelength?

When the tension in a string is increased, the wavelength decreases and the frequency increases. This results in a higher pitch. Conversely, decreasing the tension will increase the wavelength and lower the pitch.

5. Can the tension in a musical string be measured?

Yes, the tension in a string can be measured using a tension meter or by calculating the force applied to the string using Hooke's Law (F=kx). The tension is typically measured in units of pounds or newtons.