1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of a rope in a pulley system

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1.0 kg mass and a 4.0 kg mass are attached to a lightweight cord that passes over a frictionless pulley. The hanging masses are free to move. What is the acceleration of the larger mass? What is the tension on the cord?

2. Relevant equations

F(net force)=F(tension)-weight

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the acceleration using F=ma. The system has 3 kg of mass going down (4kg-1kg), which is equal to 29.4N of force (found by multiplying 3kg by 9.8m/s^2). The whole system has a mass of 5 kg, so I substituted in to F=ma.

29.4N=5.0 kg + a

The acceleration is 5.88 m/s^2

Now comes the part I am confused about. The tension of the cord should be
    F(net force)=tension-weight, or rearranged to be:

F(tension)=F(net force)+weight or (Tension=ma+mg)

I can substitute in what i know:
    Tension =m(5.88m/s^2)+m(9.8m/s^2)

I am at a loss of which mass to use. Do i use the mass that i found in working on acceleration (3 kg), or the mass of the whole system (5 kg)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    can u draw the force diagrams of each mass? that will help u a lot :)

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    I attached a quick diagram, i don't know if that's detailed enough, but that is basically what's going on. (i'm bad at drawing with a mouse, so it probably doesn't look that spectacular)- the 4kg mass is pulling the whole system down at 5.88m/s^2, which is great since that is the first half of the question.

My problem is which mass do i use to find the tension? the mass of 3 kg (because of the pulley 4kg-1kg=3kg, the 3kg was then used to find the amount of downward force, which turned out to be 29.4N) or the mass of the whole system, 5kg?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    ok, u are done basically, u can use any of the masses actually, so let's say we concentrate on the heavier one

the heavy mass' equation of force will be:

-Mg+T=-Ma

-(4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)+T=-(4kg)(5.88 m/S^2)

that's it, u've found it :)

can u find it now using the smaller mass? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook