Is Tension2 always smaller than Tension1 in a tension and pulley system?

In summary, the mass "m" attached to mass "M" with a rope creates an acceleration (clockwise) relative to the original mass "M". However, the tension in the string is smaller,bigger, or equal to the original tension.
Deadawake
tension ropes bigger.jpg

Homework Statement

M = M
There is another mass "m" attached to mass "M" with a rope
There is an acceleration (clockwise)
Does Tension2 smaller,bigger or equal to Tension1?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I understand just by the logic:
In any case - T1 > T2 ,

I tried to put it into equations:
T2 = mg - ma
T1 = T2 +Mg - Ma

→→ T1 = mg - ma + Mg - Ma = m⋅(g-a) + M⋅(g-a)

"(g-a)" is constant value. Hence no matter what is the mass correlation between M & m , T2 will always be smaller than T1

Am I right?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Deadawake said:
I tried to put it into equations:
T2 = mg - ma
T1 = T2 +Mg - Ma

→→ T1 = mg - ma + Mg - Ma = m⋅(g-a) + M⋅(g-a)

"(g-a)" is constant value. Hence no matter what is the mass correlation between M & m , T2 will always be smaller than T1

Am I right?
I think you essentially have it, except for maybe one loose end. As you said, (g-a) is a constant. What must be true about this constant in order for your argument to hold?

mm..
If g=a we get 0 . which means there is no tension in the ropes?

Yes, but could a = g?

Maybe I'm being too picky. But is seems to me that your argument requires that (g-a) be a positive constant.
Your equation T1 = T2 + Mg - Ma can be written as

T1 = T2 +M(g-a).

So, T1 is greater than T2 as long as (g-a) is positive. It's not hard to find a reason why (g-a) is positive.

TSny said:
Yes, but could a = g?

Maybe I'm being too picky. But is seems to me that your argument requires that (g-a) be a positive constant.
Your equation T1 = T2 + Mg - Ma can be written as

T1 = T2 +M(g-a).

So, T1 is greater than T2 as long as (g-a) is positive. It's not hard to find a reason why (g-a) is positive.
If "m" is big enough to create 9.8 m/s2 acceleration. so a=g . Logically,I think, it could be the case.
Actually I can't find a reason why "(g-a)" must be positive when "a" is bigger than g... maybe that's the direction of the accelaration? if it minus this term will be always positive. but we already defined the direction of the acceleration within the equation.
so I don't know :confused:

Tension in a string cannot be negative. So, your equation T2 = mg - ma implies g - a cannot be negative. So, you just need to rule out a = g which would imply T2 = 0.

If T2 = 0, then the free body diagrams for the two blocks of mass M would be identical. Yet you know that one block must accelerate upward while the other accelerates downward.

[EDIT: Another approach is to treat the system as a whole. Taking clockwise motion around the pulley as positive, the net external force acting on the system is Fnet = mg + Mg - Mg = mg. Thus the acceleration is Fnet divided by the total mass of the system. You can easily check that this is less than g.]

Last edited:

1. What is a tension and pulley system?

A tension and pulley system is a mechanical system that uses a combination of pulleys and ropes or cables to transfer force and motion. The pulleys serve as simple machines that redirect the direction of the force, while the tension in the ropes or cables allows for the transfer of this force.

2. How does a tension and pulley system work?

A tension and pulley system works by utilizing the principles of mechanical advantage. By arranging multiple pulleys in a specific configuration, the system can reduce the amount of force needed to lift or move an object. As the number of pulleys increases, the force required decreases, making it easier to lift heavier objects.

3. What are the different types of pulleys used in a tension and pulley system?

There are three main types of pulleys used in a tension and pulley system: fixed, movable, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary structure and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys are attached to the object being lifted and move along with it, reducing the required force. Compound pulleys combine multiple fixed and movable pulleys to increase mechanical advantage.

4. What is the formula for calculating tension in a tension and pulley system?

The formula for calculating tension in a tension and pulley system is T = (W / n) x N, where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object being lifted, n is the number of ropes supporting the load, and N is the number of pulleys. This formula assumes that there is no friction or slippage in the system.

5. What are some common applications of tension and pulley systems?

Tension and pulley systems have a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common examples include elevators, cranes, sailboats, exercise equipment, and construction machinery. They are also used in everyday household items such as blinds, curtains, and garage doors.