Calculating the Height of a Window Using Kinematic Equations

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, The conversation is about a question involving a person dropping a TV from a window and throwing a converter at 20m/s down. The question is to determine the height of the window. The person listed the given values for the TV and the converter, and used the TV to find an equation for time. However, there was a mistake in the substitution when solving for d in the converter equation. The correct answer is 27.6, but others got a different value.
Sorry!

Homework Statement

Ahh just had a test and i thought i did this question correctly as it turns out though most of the other people in the class got a different value than me so I'm just wondering if someone could show me where i went wrong :D
Bascially the question is a person drops a TV from a window and then throws a converter at 20m/s down it takes the converter half the amount of time to reach the ground how high is the window

so i listed the given values for the TV with down as positive:
v1=0 v2=x a=9.8 d=? t=?
and the converter:
v1=20 v2=x a=9.8 d=? t=?

then i used the TV to find an equation for time since v1=0
[tex]d=V_{1}t\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
then just rearrange end up with t=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a}}[/tex]

so i sub that into the converter equation get...
[tex]d=\frac{20\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a}}+1/2a\frac{2d}{a}}{2}[/tex]

then i subbed my values and got something like 3/4d^2+20.7d=0 (not sure of exact values..)
d(3/4d+20.7)=0
20.7(4)/3=d
27.6=d
so you get d=0 and d=27.6 so its obviously 27.6 but other people got 33.6 or something where did i go wrong :|

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry! said:
then i used the TV to find an equation for time since v1=0
[tex]d=V_{1}t\frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]
then just rearrange end up with t=[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a}}[/tex]
Good.

so i sub that into the converter equation get...
[tex]d=\frac{20\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a}}+1/2a\frac{2d}{a}}{2}[/tex]
Redo the substitution more carefully. The converter equation is:
[tex]d = v_0t + 1/2at^2[/tex]

You need to substitute:
[tex]t = (\sqrt{\frac{2d}{a}})/2[/tex]

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your calculations and your assumptions. In this case, it seems like you may have made a mistake in setting up your equations.

Firstly, when listing the given values for the TV, you have listed the initial velocity (v1) as 0 and the final velocity (v2) as x. However, in this scenario, the TV is being dropped, so the initial velocity should be x (since it is moving downwards) and the final velocity should be 0 (since it hits the ground and stops). This may have affected your subsequent calculations.

Additionally, when using the equation d=V1t+(at^2)/2, you have used the value of 9.8 for acceleration (a). However, this value is for the acceleration due to gravity on Earth, and in this scenario, the TV is being dropped from a window, which may not necessarily be on Earth. It is important to always use the correct value for acceleration in your calculations.

Another possible mistake is in your substitution of values into the converter equation. It is not clear how you have arrived at the equation d=(20√(2d/a)+1/2a(2d/a))/2. This equation does not match the original equation d=V1t+(at^2)/2, and it is not clear how you have substituted the values into this equation.

In conclusion, it is important to carefully review your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy. Double check your equations and make sure you are using the correct values for the given scenario. It is also helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed.

1. How do you calculate the height of a window using kinematic equations?

To calculate the height of a window using kinematic equations, you will need to know the initial velocity, acceleration, and time. The equation for calculating height is: h = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2, where h is the height, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plug in the known values and solve for h.

2. What is the initial velocity in kinematic equations?

The initial velocity, denoted as vi, is the starting velocity of an object. It is the rate of change of the position of the object at the beginning of motion. In the context of calculating the height of a window, the initial velocity would be the speed at which an object is thrown or launched.

3. How do you determine the acceleration in kinematic equations?

To determine the acceleration in kinematic equations, you will need to know the change in velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur. The equation for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. Plug in the known values and solve for a.

4. Can kinematic equations be used to calculate the height of any object?

Yes, kinematic equations can be used to calculate the height of any object as long as the initial velocity, acceleration, and time are known. These equations are based on the principles of motion and can be applied to any object in motion, regardless of its size or shape.

5. What is the unit of measurement for height in kinematic equations?

The unit of measurement for height in kinematic equations is meters (m). This is a standard unit of measurement for distance in the International System of Units (SI). It is important to use consistent units when plugging in values to the kinematic equations to ensure accurate calculations.