Test Tomorow on work, and more

• Thread starter 3dsmax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test Work
I'll go check...I don't remember. Go ahead and repost the hint if you like. I tried to be surgical, but I may have been in too much of a hurry. I'll go check...In summary, the first question involves calculating the work done by a hummingbird with a given mass and acceleration over a certain distance. The second question involves delivering a cart of meat and vegetables over a long skewer with a given force pushing at an angle and a force of friction acting as resistance. To solve these problems, it is important to draw free body diagrams and use equations for force, acceleration, and work.
3dsmax
I have a test tomorrow and i lost all my papers on how to do this stuff. And i have this paper that has examples of all the problems i need to know how to do.

Homework Statement

1. A humming bird has a mass of 1.70 g. if the hummingbird ascends straight up with a net acceleration of 1.20 m/s^2, how much work does it do over a distance of 8 m.

2. The longest shish kabob ever made was 881 m long. Suppose the meat and vegetables need to be delivered in a cart from one end of this shish kebab to the other end. A cook pushes the cart by applying a force of 40.0 N at an angle that is 45º above the horizontal. If the force of friction acting on the cart is 28 N what is the net work done on the cart and its contents during the delivery.

Homework Equations

W=DF

The Attempt at a Solution

1. (.0017kg) / (1.2 m/s^2) = .0014 N
.0014 x 8m = .0113 J

What am i doing wrong?

2. I have know idea how to do this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the net acceleration to calculate the net force.

Thenm, taking into account the weight of the bird, you can calculate the upwards force it's generating.

use this in your W = Fd equation.

1. The correct equation is F=ma.

2. Draw a free body diagram. This will enable you to visualise the situation, then resolve forces into horizontal and vertical components.

for the humming bird:
as the bird goes vertically upwards, therefore..

when m=mass of birdy,
g= acceleration due to gravity(9.8 m/s^2), and
a=acceleration of bird(1.20 m/s^2)

so net force applied by bird will be: F=m(g+a)
=0.0017(9.8+1.2)=0.0187 N
Thus workdone= F*s--> distance

<< explicit solution removed by berkeman and solution attachment deleted >>

{refer the pic.}
Draw a free body diagram and it will help you!

Last edited by a moderator:
First question: calculate mgh, the change in potential energy. Using the given acceleration find the final velocity and so (1/2)mv2, the change in kinetic energy. The change in total energy is the work done.

Second question: Work= force times distance. Since the distance is measured horizonatally, use the horizontal component of force.

Rocket_guy said:
for the humming bird:
as the bird goes vertically upwards, therefore..

when m=mass of birdy,
g= acceleration due to gravity(9.8 m/s^2), and
a=acceleration of bird(1.20 m/s^2)

so net force applied by bird will be: F=m(g+a)
=0.0017(9.8+1.2)=0.0187 N
Thus workdone= F*s--> distance

<< explicit solution removed by berkeman and solution attachment deleted >>

{refer the pic.}
Draw a free body diagram and it will help you!

Welcome to the PF, Rocket_guy. But you need to keep in mind that the rules here are that we do not post complete solutions to homework problems. Our task is to help the original poster (OP) figure out the problem on their own. We provide hints, pointers, reminders, and other guidance, but not explicit answers. We certainly appreciate your help in the homework forums, but please strive to be more tutorial in your help.

Welcome to the PF, Rocket_guy. But you need to keep in mind that the rules here are that we do not post complete solutions to homework problems. Our task is to help the original poster (OP) figure out the problem on their own. We provide hints, pointers, reminders, and other guidance, but not explicit answers. We certainly appreciate your help in the homework forums, but please strive to be more tutorial in your help.
Oh .. sry, didnt knew and I was just trying to help becoz the guy has a test tomorrow!

Should the solution remain there or the post be edited??

thanx!

Rocket_guy said:
Oh .. sry, didnt knew and I was just trying to help becoz the guy has a test tomorrow!

Should the solution remain there or the post be edited??

thanx!

No worries. I think I took out enough of the final solutions and left some of your hints. We'll see what the OP comes back with.

No worries. I think I took out enough of the final solutions and left some of your hints. We'll see what the OP comes back with.
What I just noticed is that u deleted the solution to second question without even leaving the hint! Was my answer incorrect??

Rocket_guy said:
What I just noticed is that u deleted the solution to second question without even leaving the hint! Was my answer incorrect??

I don't remember. Go ahead and repost the hint if you like. I tried to be surgical, but I may have been in too much of a hurry.

1. What is the purpose of a test tomorrow on work?

The purpose of a test tomorrow on work is to assess your knowledge and understanding of the material related to your job. It serves as a way to measure your proficiency and identify areas where you may need improvement.

2. How can I prepare for a test tomorrow on work?

To prepare for a test tomorrow on work, you should review any relevant materials, such as job manuals, training materials, or notes from previous meetings. It may also be helpful to ask your supervisor or coworkers for guidance on what topics to focus on.

3. Will the test tomorrow on work impact my job performance?

The test tomorrow on work is designed to assess your current knowledge and does not have a direct impact on your job performance. However, the results of the test may reveal areas where you can improve to enhance your job performance in the future.

4. What happens if I do not pass the test tomorrow on work?

If you do not pass the test tomorrow on work, it is important to communicate with your supervisor and ask for feedback on areas where you can improve. You may also have the opportunity to retake the test or receive additional training to help you pass in the future.

5. How often will I be required to take a test tomorrow on work?

The frequency of tests tomorrow on work may vary depending on the specific job and company. Some jobs may require regular assessments, while others may only have occasional tests. It is important to check with your supervisor or HR department for more information on the testing schedule for your position.