Symmetry Testing: Solutions to 2 Equations

In summary, the first equation, 2x = 3y^2, is symmetric to the x-axis when rewritten as y = \sqrt {2x/3}. The second equation, x^2 + 4y^2 = 16, is not symmetric to any axis, but can be manipulated to show symmetry.
ability
Here's 2 more I am having difficulty with, I'll show you what I came up with or what I think the answer is

1. 2x = 3y^2
(sqrt 2x/3) = 3y/3
y = sqrt (2x/3)
Symmetric to the X-axis

2. x^2 + 4y^2=16
not symmetric to any axis

Physics news on Phys.org
ability said:
Here's 2 more I am having difficulty with, I'll show you what I came up with or what I think the answer is

1. 2x = 3y^2
(sqrt 2x/3) = 3y/3
y = sqrt (2x/3)
Symmetric to the X-axis

2. x^2 + 4y^2=16
not symmetric to any axis
I assume you are talking about the symmetry of graphs of equations and not the symmetry of "functions". Functions have conditions that are not satisfied by all equations. Your first case allows for x to be considered a function of y, or as you have rewritten it, for y to be a function of x, but in the latter case it is only a function because you have written

[tex] y = \sqrt {2x/3} [/tex]

rather than writing

[tex] y = \pm \sqrt {2x/3} [/tex]

The first equation satisfies the condition for y to be a function of x (only one value of y for each value of x), but without the [tex] \pm [/tex] sign the graph of the equation has no symmetry axis.The second equation has the symmetry axis you have identified, but it does not represent a function. In either case, x must be positive.

Your second case is the equation of an ellipse, which is not a function. It has two symmetry axes. If you manipulated the equation to solve for y, and then to solve for x I think you might see the symmetry.

Your solutions for both equations seem to be correct. For the first equation, you have correctly identified that the graph is symmetric to the x-axis. This means that if you were to fold the graph along the x-axis, the two halves would perfectly overlap. This is due to the fact that the equation has a square root, which is an even function and therefore symmetric about the y-axis.

For the second equation, you have correctly identified that the graph is not symmetric to any axis. This is because the equation does not have any terms that are even functions. In order for a graph to be symmetric to an axis, it must have at least one term that is an even function. In this case, both terms are odd functions, x^2 and 4y^2, which means they are not symmetric about any axis.

Great job on solving these equations and identifying their symmetries! Keep practicing and you will become even more confident in your symmetry testing skills.

1. What is symmetry testing and why is it important?

Symmetry testing is a statistical method used to determine whether two sets of data are symmetrically distributed around a central point or line. This is important because it allows us to assess the similarity between two groups of data and make inferences about their relationship.

2. How do you perform symmetry testing?

To perform symmetry testing on two equations, you first need to plot the data points for each equation on a graph. Then, you can visually inspect the graph to see if the data appears to be symmetrically distributed. If not, you can use statistical tests such as the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test or the Shapiro-Wilk test to determine the level of symmetry between the two equations.

3. What are the assumptions of symmetry testing?

The main assumption of symmetry testing is that the data is normally distributed. This means that the data points are evenly distributed around the mean, forming a bell-shaped curve. If the data is not normally distributed, the results of the symmetry test may be inaccurate.

4. Can symmetry testing be used for more than two equations?

Yes, symmetry testing can be performed on more than two equations. In this case, multiple statistical tests may be used to compare the data sets and determine the level of symmetry between them.

5. What are some applications of symmetry testing in scientific research?

Symmetry testing is commonly used in scientific research to compare data from different groups or conditions. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of a treatment or intervention by comparing data before and after the intervention. Additionally, symmetry testing is useful in analyzing data from experiments and determining the relationship between different variables.