Tests of equivalence principle based on fluid mechanics

In summary, Michel and Chris discuss the possibility of using everyday or industrial examples to demonstrate the Equivalence Principle to those who are skeptical of relativity. They also mention the potential of studying quantum information theory and the Margolus-Levitin theorem.
lalbatros
Were there some tests of this kind?
Would that have some meaning?
Would the fluid world be very strange if the EP was (somewhat) in default?

Some brainstorming on fluid mechanics and the Equivalence principle, to take another point of view?

Thanks,

Michel

Physics news on Phys.org
Test of the EP?

Hi, Michel,

lalbatros said:
Were there some tests of this kind?
Would that have some meaning?
Would the fluid world be very strange if the EP was (somewhat) in default?

I'd suggest you study http://relativity.livingreviews.org/Articles/lrr-2006-3/index.html and then ask yourself: what kind of theory might admit a fluid which might violate some version of the EP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris,

I like very much "livingreviews", and I also ordered the book by Clifford M. Will which will probably suit my current curiosity (livetime 3 month usually, next probable topic: the Margolus-Levitin theorem and all that).

My aim with this question here was more about finding everyday physics (or eventually industrial physics) that could make the equivalence principle flattly obvious to some very obtuse anti-relativity people. Besides this it would be an interresting unusual point of view.

Thanks,

Michel

Last edited:
Oh dear, I'd say you stand a better chance of mastering the mysteries of quantum information theory than you do of educating "very obtuse anti-relativity people", but good luck in both projects.

:smile: :rofl: :smile:

1. What is the equivalence principle in fluid mechanics?

The equivalence principle in fluid mechanics is the idea that the behavior of a fluid is independent of its state of motion. This means that all fluids, regardless of their velocity or acceleration, follow the same physical laws and exhibit the same behavior.

2. How is the equivalence principle tested in fluid mechanics?

The equivalence principle is tested through experiments that compare the behavior of different fluids under the same conditions. This can be done by measuring the velocity and acceleration of different fluids in a controlled environment and determining if they exhibit the same behavior.

3. What are some examples of tests of equivalence principle based on fluid mechanics?

One example is the classic Millikan oil drop experiment, which compares the behavior of oil drops in air and in a vacuum to demonstrate the equivalence of gravitational and electrical forces. Another example is the Cavendish experiment, which uses the behavior of fluids in a torsion balance to measure the gravitational constant.

4. What are the implications of the equivalence principle in fluid mechanics?

The equivalence principle has significant implications in the study of fluid mechanics, as it allows for the application of universal physical laws to all fluids. This allows for a deeper understanding of fluid behavior and the ability to make predictions and develop new technologies based on these principles.

5. Are there any limitations to the equivalence principle in fluid mechanics?

While the equivalence principle is a fundamental concept in fluid mechanics, there are some limitations to its application. For example, it does not hold true for fluids in extreme conditions, such as at very high pressures or temperatures. Additionally, the behavior of fluids at the atomic level may not always follow the same laws as macroscopic fluids.