The 200g model rocket,Angular acceleration

In summary, the angular acceleration of the 200g model rocket can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque applied, and I is the moment of inertia of the rocket. This affects the rotational motion of the rocket during flight and can impact its stability and trajectory. The angular acceleration can be changed during flight by adjusting the force applied or the shape of the rocket. It can be measured using an accelerometer or a high-speed camera. The units of angular acceleration are radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²).
Lydia22

Homework Statement

The 200g model rocket shown in figure 13.24 generates 4.0Nthrust. It spins in a horizontal circle at the end of a 100g rigid rod. what is its angular acceleration?
http://s3.amazonaws.com/answer-board-image/c5d72a35f06dfbd77d87ba51ac9eaa51.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tnet= F*d= 4.0sin45*0.6
=1.70N.m
angular acc=Tnet/MR^2 =1.70/0.2*(0.6)^2
=23.57 rad/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total moment of inertia is I of rocket plus I of rod.

Related to The 200g model rocket,Angular acceleration

1. What is the angular acceleration of the 200g model rocket?

The angular acceleration of the 200g model rocket depends on various factors such as the force applied, the mass and shape of the rocket, and the initial velocity. It can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque applied, and I is the moment of inertia of the rocket.

2. How does the angular acceleration affect the flight of the 200g model rocket?

The angular acceleration of the rocket affects its rotational motion during flight. A higher angular acceleration can cause the rocket to spin faster, which can impact its stability and trajectory. It is important to carefully consider the angular acceleration when designing and launching a model rocket.

3. Can the angular acceleration be changed during the flight of the 200g model rocket?

Yes, the angular acceleration can be changed during the flight of the model rocket. This can be achieved by adjusting the force applied or the shape of the rocket. For example, adding fins or adjusting their angle can change the torque and therefore the angular acceleration of the rocket.

4. How can the angular acceleration of the 200g model rocket be measured?

The angular acceleration of the model rocket can be measured using a device called an accelerometer. This device measures changes in acceleration, including angular acceleration, and can provide accurate readings. Another method is to use a high-speed camera to capture and analyze the rotation of the rocket during flight.

5. What are the units of angular acceleration for the 200g model rocket?

The units of angular acceleration for the 200g model rocket are radians per second squared (rad/s²) or degrees per second squared (°/s²). These units represent the change in rotational velocity per unit of time, similar to how meters per second squared (m/s²) represents the change in linear velocity per unit of time.