Calculating Frequency Difference of a Rotating Siren - How Fast Must It Spin?

In summary, the conversation discusses a siren with two loud speakers attached to a rotating disk, emitting a sound frequency of 300 Hz. The disk has a radius of 3m and is moving at a tangential velocity of Vt=w*r. The first question asks for the required spin rate of the disk to perceive two frequencies that differ by 50 Hz, while the second question involves the difference in frequencies when the disk is tilted at a 50 degree angle. The answer to the first question involves finding the tangential velocity using the formula Vt=w*r, and the second question involves considering the velocity as a vector and using the formula w=2*pi/T.
sirclash

Homework Statement

A siren has two loud speakers attached to a rotating disk. The disks radius is 3m. The speakers emit a sound frequency of 300 Hz.(Speed of sound in air is 344 m/s)
A)How fast does the disk need to spin for an observer standing some distance away to perceive two frequencies that are different by by 50 Hz.
B)Whats the difference of the two frequencies if the disk is tilted by 50 degrees?(Hint: velocity is a vector)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please help me get started. I'm assuming its both stationary observer and source but i don't know how to implement a rotation siren. Does that mean the source is actually moving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the siren is actually moving. What's the tangential velocity of a rotating disk?

Well that's Vt=w*r, but i don't see how you obtain that from given just frequency and radius. Is their a formula that that will help get me started.
Heres some formulas including w.
k=w/v
w=2*pi/T
But none of these help, yet atleast

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a change in frequency or wavelength of a wave, such as sound or light, due to the relative motion of the source and the observer.

How does the Doppler Effect affect the sound of a siren?

As a siren approaches an observer, the frequency of the sound waves increases, making the sound higher pitched. As the siren moves away from the observer, the frequency decreases, making the sound lower pitched. This change in frequency is known as the Doppler Effect.

What factors influence the Doppler Effect of a siren?

The Doppler Effect of a siren is influenced by the speed of the siren, the speed of the observer, and the distance between the siren and the observer.

How is the Doppler Effect of a siren used in real life?

The Doppler Effect of a siren is used in various real-life applications, such as measuring the speed of moving objects, determining the direction of moving objects, and in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound.

What is the difference between the Doppler Effect of a siren and the Doppler Effect of light?

The Doppler Effect of a siren is the change in frequency of sound waves, while the Doppler Effect of light is the change in frequency of electromagnetic waves. Additionally, the speed of sound is much slower than the speed of light, so the Doppler Effect of light is more significant in terms of frequency change.