The effect of a stationary proton on a stationary electron

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the distance below a proton is calculated where the upward force on an electron equals the electron's weight. The solution involves using Newton's universal law of gravitation and Coulomb's law, and the calculation is based on the assumption that the experiment takes place on Earth. The issue of calculating the acceleration of a mass in the presence of a proton is also raised. However, it is clarified that in this context, the term "weight" always refers to the weight on Earth as a convention for homework problems.
Mindstein

Homework Statement

On the utterly unrealistic assumption that there are no other charged particles in the vicinity, at what distance below a proton would the upward force on an electron equal the electrons weight?

Homework Equations

I used Newtons universal law of gravitation as well as Coulombs law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I equated the sum of the forces on the electron (due to the proton) to the weight of the electron. The sum of the aforementioned forces correspond to the gravitational attractive force and the electrical attractive force (both forces being produced by the proton).

I got an answer of 4.85 meters. Right or wrong, I don't really care because the number will be wrong by virtue of entering the values into the calculator wrong (hopefully); I'm definitely comfortable with the methodology. My problem is the language in this exercise. The weight of the electron depends on the acceleration due to gravity (which, on earth, is 9.8 m/s^2) of some other mass.

I arrived at 4.85 meters by assuming that this experiment takes place on earth. I'm not comfortable with making that assumption, but I'm also not comfortable with having to calculate the acceleration of a mass that is in the presence of a proton (the mass, for this example, would be the electron). I feel like calculating such a quantity would be out of the scope and spirit of the problem.

In a nutshell, my question pertains to the intent of the word 'weight'. Do I calculate 'g' for an object in the presence of its gravitational field or do I assume this experiment takes place on earth?

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If "weight"/"gravity"/... is used without any other information, the experiment always takes place on the surface of earth. This is just a convention for homework problems.

Ah great, thanks mfb. I appreciate it.

1. What is the effect of a stationary proton on a stationary electron?

The stationary proton and electron will experience a force of attraction due to their opposite charges. This force is known as the Coulomb force, and it is responsible for holding atoms together.

2. How does the distance between the proton and electron affect their interaction?

The strength of the Coulomb force between the proton and electron is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the closer the two particles are, the stronger the force of attraction will be.

3. Can a stationary proton and electron exist without interacting with each other?

No, as long as the proton and electron are in the same vicinity, they will always interact with each other through the Coulomb force. This is one of the fundamental forces of nature and cannot be avoided.

4. How does the mass of the proton and electron affect their interaction?

The mass of the proton and electron does not affect the strength of their interaction. The Coulomb force is solely dependent on the charges of the particles and the distance between them.

5. What other factors can affect the interaction between a stationary proton and electron?

The presence of other charged particles or external electric fields can affect the interaction between a stationary proton and electron. Additionally, if the particles are not truly stationary and are moving, their interaction will be affected by their velocities and directions of motion.