Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
OmCheeto said:
Thank you for the reminder. (I'm currently immersed in watching 400+ "Classic" Dr. Who episodes...)
According to OPB, all of the episodes "expire" on 12/15/2015.
@JorisL , if you are going to watch, you've only 5 weeks left, I think.

Funny you mentioned this, I checked it out 2 days ago.
Didn't find the time to watch episodes 3-end this weekend. Tonight I'll hopefully find some time.

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
You all know that I love many different types of food. Some of the food I make can be quite involved and required elaborate preparations.

But sometime, all I want is something simple. But often times, simple does not mean easy, because when you prepare things simply, there's nothing to hide behind. If the quality and preparation aren't good, you have nowhere to hide.

I prepared myself some lunch the other day, and it was a simple collection of stuff: good sardines in olive oil, crackers, freshly-cut carrots and celery, and some good cheeses (pecorino-romano and pepper jack). I made some hard-boiled eggs, and this is where simple isn't easy. I'm very fussy about my eggs. I prefer my hard-boiled eggs to not be overcooked, meaning that the yolk is still orange and slightly moist/wet. I find this to be tastier than the overboiled eggs.

IMG_1877_zpsvxknead0.jpg

I've served this with some radishes, crusty bread, and a good red wine in the evening when we have a light supper al fresco during the summer. It is surprisingly satisfying.

Zz.

Looking at all the exceedingly intricate and ingenious recipes posted in this thread makes me realize how pitiful my culinary skills are, since the best I can currently make is a cheese sandwich.

Just do it!

No really, try something you really like and find a clear recipe.
Once you can follow those it's pretty easy to start experimenting.

A favourite of mine is whenever I cook some chicken breasts, when it's done remove the from the pan.
Next throw in some cream. It'll violently bubble if your pan is hot, which is good.
While the cream thickens, add terragon. It's perfect with chicken.

This is such an easy, creamy sauce and so simple.
Just keep stirring, it thickens naturally.

PWiz said:
Looking at all the exceedingly intricate and ingenious recipes posted in this thread makes me realize how pitiful my culinary skills are, since the best I can currently make is a cheese sandwich.
Glad to see you've joined the club, before it was too late.:oldfrown:

I just last year perfected the cheese sandwich, with only a few years left of life, to enjoy this new found knowledge.:oldcry:

ps. As I just mentioned, I'm retro-watching Dr. Who, so "a few years" should not be interpreted in an Earthling time frame of reference. :oldsmile:

pps. Picked up my turkey yesterday. Anyone have a new recipe? I'm still stuck on the one I perfected a couple of decades ago.

Likes PWiz
So who will be roasting turkey tomorrow? Let's see pictures of your masterpiece when they are out of the oven!

I'm in charge of the turkey, so big pressure. I'm making compound butter to shmear underneath the skin. I also made my cranberry chutney a couple of days ago to go with the turkey. Luckily I'm not responsible for all the other side dishes and the pies.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So who will be roasting turkey tomorrow? Let's see pictures of your masterpiece when they are out of the oven!

I'm in charge of the turkey, so big pressure. I'm making compound butter to shmear underneath the skin. I also made my cranberry chutney a couple of days ago to go with the turkey. Luckily I'm not responsible for all the other side dishes and the pies.

Zz.
We are having turducken at a friend's house. However, I will be cooking a turkey on Friday. I'll try to post pictures of both! :smile:

Borg said:
We are having turducken at a friend's house. :smile:

Whoa! I hope you have an exercise regimen to work off all those calories from that beast! I'm sure those not in the US will look at a turducken and shake their heads in disbelief and horror!:biggrin: :nb)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Whoa! I hope you have an exercise regimen to work off all those calories from that beast! I'm sure those not in the US will look at a turducken and shake their heads in disbelief and horror!:biggrin: :nb)

Zz.
Yes, I've been exercising. The husband and wife both cook very well and we always look forward to the holidays there. He is even going to de-bone all three himself. He smoked two turkeys overnight last year so I'm guessing that's what's in store for these birds as well. I can't wait. I feel like Homer Simpson drooling over a donut. :woot:

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

As always, I'm going to the relatives tomorrow.
And as always, I'll be cooking my own turkey, as they always send me home with only the leftover cookies.

Anyways, has anyone ever purchased a "dishonest" turkey?

pf.2015.11.25.an.honest.headless.turkey.jpg

How on Earth can a headless, disemboweled, frozen turkey, lie?
There should be a law...

Likes Borg
PWiz said:
Maybe I'm bland, but nothing tops a cheese sandwich for me!

Gobble gobble. Happy Turkey Day to everyone celebrating. My turkey is already in the oven.

Don't forget to snap a photo of your big bird!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Gobble gobble. Happy Turkey Day to everyone celebrating. My turkey is already in the oven.

Don't forget to snap a photo of your big bird!

Zz.
My turkey came out of the oven 2 1/2 hours ago.

2015.11.26.7.am.thanksgiving.turkey.jpg

This was taken about 20 minutes ago.
Cooking time: 12 hours
Oven was set at 200°F
Internal temperature when it came out of the oven was a whopping 208°F
Water loss: 3 pints

Parts eaten so far: 1 wing, 1 leg, a bit of stuffing, and just a nibble off the breast.
Conclusion: Thumbs up

ps. I checked the wrapper after I took the turkey out of the sink last night, and it said that my turkey is "Gluten Free".

Likes Borg
Wow. Did you overcook the turkey?

What kind of stuffing do you have?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Wow. Did you overcook the turkey?
Not too badly, which is why I gave it a thumbs up. It's just slightly dryer than my previous turkeys.
Last year I cooked my bird for 16 hours.
I had to search Facebook for that, as it appears that we had a gap in the food thread here last year.

We missed Thanksgiving & Christmas!
Post #194: Nov 17, 2014, Evo and her squirrels
Post #195: Jan 20, 2015, Om and his dumpling rant​

But looking over my notes on FB, I know why I didn't mention it. What a circus. Actually, reading over it, it looks pretty funny.

{late entry}
Om's Thanksgiving turkey conversation on FB from 2014

28 Nov 2014
Om;
Technology...
After 48 hours, the red button, never popped.
[expletive deleted] you, technology.​
turkey.2014.jpg

CPG; Mmmm juicy!
Om; I threw it away.
MOB; You cooked it for 48 hours?!?
MTH; haha u need a meat thermometer so sorry it didnt work Om
JH; Hey Om, you're supposed to turn on the oven!
RL; I have never trusted them... That bird is starting to look like some of our really old beach friends! Turkey jerky
MM; Dang that red button!
Om; It was just the pop up red thingy I threw away. The turkey actually came out flawlessly.
MM; Happy to hear Sweets!
Om;
Normally I put my turkey in on Wednesday, but I spent the day partying with friends, and was too exhausted to cook. So I put the turkey in the oven on Thursday at 7am. But I spent the day at my brothers house for dinner, and more partying of course, got home at 11 pm and took out the turkey. But again, I was too tired to do little more. So this morning, at 6 am, I decided the turkey was now covered in new bacteria, so I threw it back in the oven at 350F, and turned off the oven. It cooled down to 200F by 7am, at which point, I disassembled everything.​
MM; Look at it this way, at least you got your party on! Hugs handsome!
Moonbear; Those popup things never worked for me. I throw them out before even starting now.​
[/late entry}
What kind of stuffing do you have?

Zz.

It's my mother's recipe.
1 bag store bought seasoned crusty bread cubes
1 cube butter
2 cups water
pre-cooked and diced liver, heart, and gizzard (My bird this year came without a heart. It may be honest, but it's mean.)
2 cups raisons​

Apparently, it was only my mother and I that liked it. I think most people don't like the liver.

Greetings from Chapel Hill, NC!

Way back when, I was ranting against the Food Network and why I watch it less and less. I also mentioned about Vivian Howard and her amazing PBS show on her life and running of her Chef and the Farmer restaurant. Well, guess what? I will be able to taste her food this weekend! We have a reservation for dinner on Saturday evening at Chef and the Farmer, and I am quite excited.

I'm usually not much into celebrity chefs and especially those who gain fame on TV. But Howard's PBS show is way different than many other food shows on TV, and there is a genuine sense of sincerity in the show that is difficult to fake. And of course, the idea of promoting food that is unique and local to that region is something I adore and right up my alley.

I'll be sure to report back my experience there, but I am already hoping that Vivian will be around when I finally get there, because I want an autograph of the menu. Gosh, I really hope I don't geek-out all over the place when I'm there!

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto
Ok, went to Chef and the Farmer last night, and it exceeded my already-high expectations! They must have the friendliest staff any restaurant can ever have. The food was terrific, and all 4 of us got different things and managed to taste each one of them.

Vivian Howard wasn't in, so I didn't get an autographed menu. I just means that I have a strong excuse to come back when I'm in this part of the country next time.

I'll post more detailed review later.

Zz.

On the other end of the culinary spectrum, I finished making dried cat food yesterday.
My cats wouldn't eat any of the scraps from my Thanksgiving turkey, so I brought the scraps back inside, boiled them for several days, removed all the bones, liquified the remains in my blender, and baked the turkey batter on a cookie sheet for several hours.

My cats will not eat this either.
The raccoons are cleaning it up though, so all was not lost.
Sorry, no photos.

Likes Silicon Waffle and Borg
I have ungodly amounts (oh right, this is a physics forum) un-Newtonly amounts of parsley growing in my garden. I have made parsley potatoes. I have made an omelette with parsley and chives (also from my garden). I have given some away to neighbors. Still.. I am open to suggestions!

dkotschessaa said:
I have ungodly amounts (oh right, this is a physics forum) un-Newtonly amounts of parsley growing in my garden. I have made parsley potatoes. I have made an omelette with parsley and chives (also from my garden). I have given some away to neighbors. Still.. I am open to suggestions!

Make chimichurri. It goes unbelievably well with steaks, lamb, and even fish.

Zz.

Likes dkotschessaa
PWiz said:

I dream about one day writing a book for people who think they can't cook. (Like they don't exist already). But mine would be different. It would be a series of dishes with varying levels of preparation. i.e. Level 1: Just get a prepackaged meal and follow the directions. Level 2: Get the prepackaged meal but consider adding some fresh ingredients (some garlic, herbs, whatever) Level 3: Assemble the same meal with separately prepackaged ingredients and fresh stuff. Level 4: Use all fresh ingredients. Level 5: Make from scratch.

-Dave K

Likes PWiz
ZapperZ said:
Make chimichurri. It goes unbelievably well with steaks, lamb, and even fish.

Zz.
Fantastic! I had no idea chimichurri was made with parsley. My wife loves it! Or at least she normally loves it, but I have to see if the pregnant-averse-to-stuff-she-used-to-like version of her likes it. But still! Thanks a bunch. (pun obviously intended).

-Dave K

You can use it in falafel as well. The trick is to find a recipe you like.
I made my second batch ever. Used coriander and some leftover parsley this time.
Also added a small onion which I blitzed in a food processor.

JorisL said:
I made my second batch ever. Used coriander and some leftover parsley this time.

Right! Another one of those things I know how to make and stopped for no apparent reason.

Is it a sin to bake falafel instead of fry? I do not do well with fried.

I "bake" them myself. A decent layer of oil in a pan or pot.
They submerge for 1/3rd of the way.

Can't ruin the deep fryer oil/fat when the falafels fall apart. Especially since it's shared by 10 peeps.
Less greasy I think but still crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Likes dkotschessaa
We are having 14 people for Boxing day dinner, so we have hired the local caff, Kia is doing all the cooking, i will be doing the washing upo_O
can anyone beat 14?

JorisL said:

Well they didn't stay together :-(
Time to revisit the recipe. Flavourwise was good except the salt wasn't distributed very well.

Edit;
I had some pickled vegetables as a side.
http://www.recipesaresimple.com/lebanese-pickle-arabic-pickle-mukhalal/

10/10 will make again. Even after 3 days it tasted great. (they recommend storing it for 2 weeks before using)

The topic dropped quite low this time!

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/05/savory-bacon-cheddar-jalapeno-corn-pancake-recipe.html

My diner for tomorrow, however I'll use an aged Gouda which I have laying around.
I'll probably make some extra for breakfast on Wednesday and possibly Thursday.

Whenever you're stir-frying you can just combine soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ketchup and some kind of flour to get a yummy sweet sauce.
Neigh infinite possibilities! (today I tried using freshly squeezed OJ, it can use a little more work but getting there)

We have an almond tree in our yard, and this is the first year it's produced almonds. The almonds are incredibly bitter, and also have the most intense almond flavor I've ever tasted. These two facts lead me to believe that they are, in fact, "bitter almonds". My internet-searching skills (and copy of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0600620425/?tag=pfamazon01-20) have revealed that I can expect high levels of cyanide precursor, and therefore shouldn't eat these almonds without processing them properly.

However, neither my internet-searching skills nor Larousse Gastronomique have revealed how to process bitter almonds safely. Anyone have any tips? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
150672962.NfVb8aUP.portlandupload21.JPG

Likes Sophia and Borg
Can any of you food nerds tell me how to make corned beef, not the horrible muck one gets in cans, but a beef joint that has been marinaded in some liquid with salt and herbs, i need to do this because our beef is so tough no matter how one cooks it.

Before jumping to corned beef, what cut(s) of beef are you talking about, and how have you tried cooking it/them?

One of the ingredients that I use rather often is the Chinese 5-spice powder. I use it to marinate chicken, beef, and fish, and they are quite good as a base flavor to grill the meats and then glaze them with a hoisin-based sauce. The powder is also used in many Chinese dishes, again as a based flavor. You may not taste it, but you'll know if it is missing.

Over the years, I realized that I could just easily make my own 5-spice powder after I realized that I have all the spices needed to make this, except for the Szechuan peppercorns. I have a rather large collection of whole spices, which I prefer, and so all I needed was to get whole Szechuan peppercorns, which I found at a Chinese grocery store.

The simple recipe that I used is this one:
  • 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
  • 6 star anise
  • 1 ½ teaspoons whole cloves
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
IMG_3465.JPG

What I like to do is dry-roast all the spices first. I do that until I can detect the aroma from all of them. You need to do this with low to medium-low heat to make sure the spices do not burn.

Then, all I do is grind them in a coffee grinder and voila! I have a fresh, and very-good Chinese 5-spice powder.
IMG_3467.JPG

If you are used to pre-made ones, you should try this at least once, because you'll be amazed at the difference. But not just that, you can actually modify the proportions to suit your taste. I like a bit more star anise and fennel, so I used a bit more of those spices.

I made this this past weekend, and have used half of it already. I'll probably use all of it by the end of the week.

Zz.

Likes dlgoff, wolram and Borg
ZapperZ said:
One of the ingredients that I use rather often is the Chinese 5-spice powder. I use it to marinate chicken, beef, and fish, and they are quite good as a base flavor to grill the meats and then glaze them with a hoisin-based sauce. The powder is also used in many Chinese dishes, again as a based flavor. You may not taste it, but you'll know if it is missing.

Over the years, I realized that I could just easily make my own 5-spice powder after I realized that I have all the spices needed to make this, except for the Szechuan peppercorns. I have a rather large collection of whole spices, which I prefer, and so all I needed was to get whole Szechuan peppercorns, which I found at a Chinese grocery store.

The simple recipe that I used is this one:
  • 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns
  • 6 star anise
  • 1 ½ teaspoons whole cloves
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
View attachment 105804

What I like to do is dry-roast all the spices first. I do that until I can detect the aroma from all of them. You need to do this with low to medium-low heat to make sure the spices do not burn.

Then, all I do is grind them in a coffee grinder and voila! I have a fresh, and very-good Chinese 5-spice powder.
View attachment 105805

If you are used to pre-made ones, you should try this at least once, because you'll be amazed at the difference. But not just that, you can actually modify the proportions to suit your taste. I like a bit more star anise and fennel, so I used a bit more of those spices.

I made this this past weekend, and have used half of it already. I'll probably use all of it by the end of the week.

Zz.

How long do you marinade for, thanks for the recipe i can not wait to trry it.