Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
Does anyone know how to make tomato sauce?

europa.com%2F%257Egarry%2Fit.is.possible.ive.been.admiring.my.fence.rather.than.paying.attention.jpg

I cannot eat this many tomatoes...

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:

europa.com%2F%257Egarry%2Fit.is.possible.ive.been.admiring.my.fence.rather.than.paying.attention.jpg

I cannot eat this many tomatoes...
What are the cd's?

OmCheeto said:

Just trip over it and be careful not impale yourself on that central pole

Evo said:
What are the cd's?

The cd's are part of a parabolic reflector cooking system.
I no longer have a use for my tomato cages, so I repurposed one.

solar.cookin.experiment.number.two.jpg

Although the experiment in outdoor cooking was a success, it's a bit of a pain to reposition all of those cd's every 20 minutes.
I'll keep working on it.

ps. Everything was manufactured using solar energy, and old AOL disks, that should have been in the garbage, decades ago.

solar.manufacturing.process.jpg

Likes lisab
DiracPool said:
Just trip over it and be careful not impale yourself on that central pole

Two hours later...
Ok. Now I get it.

ps. The sauce it done! And it does not smell good!

OmCheeto said:
Two hours later...
Ok. Now I get it.

ps. The sauce it done! And it does not smell good!
Wonders how tomato sauce can smell bad.

Evo said:
Wonders how tomato sauce can smell bad.

I have only known tomatoes in two forms: Canned, and fresh.

hmmmm... Have you ever made beer before? It kind of stinks, really weird, the first time you make your first batch. I'm sure it's something along that line. So, I'm assuming my tomato sauce will be quite good, when I finally get around to using it. :smile:

Made my baked empanadas last week for a friend's backyard pool party. The filling is ground beef, potatoes, onions, and petit green peas. It is cooked in curry spices, with added ground cumin and garam marsala.

NcosMH.jpg

tZt9v3.jpg
[mod note: these links now require "imagizer." added (Sept, 2016)]
NcosMH.jpg

tZt9v3.jpg

I must say, it went pretty well. I take as a compliment when a few people thought I used store-bought pastry. The pastry almost felt like puff pastry, because it was flaky and buttery. Of course, I used tons of butter to make the pastry, but it was the same one that I used for my pie shells. So I suppose this is more of a hand-held pie rather than empanadas, which are usually fried.

Zz.

Attachments

• NcosMH.jpg
    NcosMH.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle, lisab, dlgoff and 2 others
Those look really tasty, ZapperZ.

:bow:

I might have to make them in 2 weeks or so.

Those look fabulous! You can just see how flaky that pastry is (wishes she lived near Zz).

ZapperZ said:
Made my baked empanadas last week for a friend's backyard pool party. The filling is ground beef, potatoes, onions, and petit green peas. It is cooked in curry spices, with added ground cumin and garam marsala.
I must say, it went pretty well. I take as a compliment when a few people thought I used store-bought pastry. The pastry almost felt like puff pastry, because it was flaky and buttery. Of course, I used tons of butter to make the pastry, but it was the same one that I used for my pie shells. So I suppose this is more of a hand-held pie rather than empanadas, which are usually fried.

Zz.

I think this is the reason the food thread holds the record for me, for pushing the "unwatch thread" button.
It's like Chinese food*.
I ate two minutes ago, and after looking at this, I'm hungry again. :oldgrumpy:
---------------------
*CFH: Chinese Food Hunger
hmmm... like we a needed a new disease:
PFTFTFHS: Physics Forums The Food Thread Food Hunger Syndrome.

Likes Evo
ZapperZ said:
OMG :oldlove: Cooking classes must be a part of the curriculum for being a particle physicist. :bow:

Astronuc said:
So where is the recipe or instructions?

It's difficult to give a recipe because, other than the pastry, I didn't use any. That's why I only listed the ingredients. Everything else was based on "feel". I had to tone down the amount of curry powder used because there were people at the party who were less tolerant of spicy food. So I had to guess on how much to use.

Zz.

I was thinking they look more like Cornish pasties. One could add turnip or rutabaga with or without the potato. I presume the beef and potatoes were diced?

ZapperZ said:

NcosMH.jpg

tZt9v3.jpg

Zz.
I'm drooling now! If you took a photo showing one's insides along with some fruits to eat with, I'll wet my T-shirt's chest.

Astronuc said:
I was thinking they look more like Cornish pasties. One could add turnip or rutabaga with or without the potato. I presume the beef and potatoes were diced?

There are certainly a lot of similarities.

The beef were ground, but the potatoes were diced. So were the onions. The taste of the filling also has some resemblance to Indian samosas. This is because, besides the curry, cumin, and garam marsala powders that I used, I also fried cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds in the oil before adding those other spices. So the underlying flavor has strong resemblance of those indian samosas.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There are certainly a lot of similarities.

The beef were ground, but the potatoes were diced. So were the onions. The taste of the filling also has some resemblance to Indian samosas. This is because, besides the curry, cumin, and garam marsala powders that I used, I also fried cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds in the oil before adding those other spices. So the underlying flavor has strong resemblance of those indian samosas.

Zz.
Oh, that sounds so good.

Looking forward to dinner tonight. The chicken has been marinating since yesterday. :woot:
It will get cooked for about 2 hours @350. It usually gets so tender that it falls off the bone. Mmmmm.

Marinating%20Chicken.jpg

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
Borg said:
Looking forward to dinner tonight. The chicken has been marinating since yesterday. :woot:
It will get cooked for about 2 hours @350. It usually gets so tender that it falls off the bone. Mmmmm.

Marinating%20Chicken.jpg

So where are the ingredients for the marinade?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
So where are the ingredients for the marinade?

Zz.
I'll have to get the full list from the chef after she wakes up and has her coffee. :smile:
I know that it included lemon juice, ground cumin, basil, rosemary, http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/489 and http://www.weberseasonings.com/product-detail?id=15.
Like your empanadas, she mixes the ingredients by feel. The chicken usually has a wonderful smokey flavor from the cumin.

Borg said:
I'll have to get the full list from the chef after she wakes up and has her coffee. :smile:
I know that it included lemon juice, ground cumin, basil, rosemary, http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/489 and http://www.weberseasonings.com/product-detail?id=15.
Like your empanadas, she mixes the ingredients by feel. The chicken usually has a wonderful smokey flavor from the cumin.

Sounds like your sleeping chef is making a version of lemon chicken, but the addition of cumin pushed it to the Middle Eastern flavor.

Zz.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle and Borg
There were ingredients for last night's dinner on the counter at the same time that weren't used in the marinade. Here's the actual list:
Lemon juice, ground cumin, ground black peppercorns, http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/489, bbq sauce, and a little water to thin it out.

Borg said:
I was thinking you made this. I'm going to "Unlike" your post. Well, maybe not. It still looks outstandingly delicious. :approve:

Likes Borg
Food for thought.
http://www.splendidtable.org/story/...-is-the-word-that-symbolizes-senegal-the-best
Fonio is a drought-resistant grain.
It grows in the harshest conditions. Senegal is a semi-desert, so fonio could be growing in the sandy ground. It matures in two months. In two months you can have a harvest of fonio.
Rice is the most common grain, but you also have other grains like fonio, millet and sorghum (that comes more in the countryside when you go down south).
The yassa has only really three ingredients: It's lots of onions that have been cooked slowly with lime juice and grilled fish or chicken. The chicken or the fish has been marinated in that same lime flavor -- lime, garlic and thyme -- for some time or overnight.
Broken rice: 'The grain that was promoted by the colonials'
PT: You know how we started using broken rice? That broken rice was imported to Senegal from Indochina (which became Vietnam); Indochina was part of the French colonial empire. The French brought this broken rice, which really was the over-processed rice that the Vietnamese would just throw away after they processed the rice. The French would send it to Senegal because they wanted our farmers to be busy growing peanuts. At the time, the cash crop for the French industries was peanut oil. The broken rice became the grain that was promoted by the colonials. The Senegalese embraced it like we embrace many things.
LRK: In the 1700s and 1800s, from what I understand, that was the single most expensive rice in the U.S. Foreign countries paid huge amounts of money to get their hands on it. The irony of that is amazing.

PT: Indeed. It's really amazing that this great rice, which foreign countries paid tons of money for, in Senegal we still are not consuming it. It's just in the South; its production is just limited in the South. It's called the Jola rice. The Jola are consuming it because it has an important value spiritually -- they use it for their sacred rituals. They keep using it, they keep consuming it.

But the North, 50 years after independence, we're still importing rice from Southeast Asia. . . .
. . .

Likes OmCheeto
Yahoo - The 12 Healthiest Foods You’ve Never Heard Of

Actually, I have heard of most of them and have used many of them in my cooking. I can do without the hype, thank you.What's with P-dishes? Paella, Polenta, Pilaf, . . .
I had to refresh my knowledge recently. I like rice dishes, especially savory rice dishes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paella - "a Valencian rice dish with ancient roots that originated in its modern form in the mid-19th century near the Albufera lagoon, a coastal lagoon in Valencia" (but then the Wikipedia quotes an article from about.com).

For Polenta - see http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014527-basic-polenta

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Ha! The very first one on the list, Amaranth, was the only weird food I could think of that was on the list.
Still haven't had any.
I heard that you can even pop it, like popcorn.
hmmmm...
google google google

Ha ha! Micro-popcorn!

OmCheeto said:
Ha ha! Micro-popcorn!
... the quantum food.

I tasted this sweet and hot chilli chutney at a friend's place over the weekend.
He said it came from Jamie Olivers recipe so I'll be making it somewhere in the next couple of days.

It would be great to add to marinated ribs or as a stuffing for chicken.

But something as simple as spreading on a baguette was yummy in my tummy as well.
I guess this might become my morning breakfast kick. (savoury > sweet breakfasts).

I also have a semi-failed experiment where I tried to make my own orange-flavored jelly to dip in chocolate.
I used 350 ml of juice and 2 envelopes of gelatine. The gel did set but it's a little too wobbly.
I also need to add some sugar to get rid of the tangy after taste.

Mixed Vegetable Soup
maximum 7 vegetables, herbs and beetroot
i want to cook in 15ml of oil.
(I am going to cook this recipe for Grandparents)
Thank You!