• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Riot in France over Nutella sale?

I mean, I like Nutella and all, but this one made me scratch my head. Anyone living in France here? Can someone explain this to me? Is it because they like Nutella, or are they simply going bonkers over the huge discount?

Next time we have a riot at a store here in the US over some stupid products or items (and you know that is bound to happen some time soon), I don't want to hear about us crazy Americans going nuts over some sale! o0):smile:

Zz.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Riot in France over Nutella sale?

I mean, I like Nutella and all, but this one made me scratch my head. Anyone living in France here? Can someone explain this to me? Is it because they like Nutella, or are they simply going bonkers over the huge discount?

Next time we have a riot at a store here in the US over some stupid products or items (and you know that is bound to happen some time soon), I don't want to hear about us crazy Americans going nuts over some sale! o0):smile:

Zz.
There is an entire Reddit thread about the popularity of Nutella across Europe (not just in France):

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskEurope/comments/3fyqrp/why_is_nutella_so_popular_in_europe/

Personally, I think Nutella is disgusting, but admittedly I'm not fond of peanut butter either, although I do like roasted peanuts and do like peanut sauce (which is not the same as peanut butter) for cooking.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
... I'm not fond of peanut butter
I've been living on peanut butter for the last 3 months, and I'm all out.

See you all later!

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
peanut butter [insert]bubblegum[/insert] for the last 3 months, and I'm all out.
"They live."

I cooked 3lbs of Cuban style pork in the slow cooker for 10 hours.

I loaded some on salty fries with Greek yoghurt and hot sauce.

3KP0ZWA.jpg

Attachments

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
So, I have this mystery that maybe a few of you know the answer to.

I make curried butternut soup often, it's one of my favorite things to have, especially during the cold months. So I know all about butternut squash and have used it many times. However, earlier this week, when I decided to make another butternut squash soup, I stumbled upon something that puzzled me. When I cut it open to take out the seeds, I found not only the seeds, but also what appeared to be mung bean sprouts growing in the squash cavity! Take a look at the photos below:

IMG_7145.JPG
IMG_7149.JPG

This was definitely something I didn't expect.

There were no puncture holes or openings in the squash, i.e. I don't see a way for the bean sprouts seeds to get in there. I've cut open many butternut squashes, and I've never seen anything like this.

Have anyone seen this before, or know what happened here?

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the butternut squash. I cleaned it up, cooked it, and it turned out as usual. So whatever happened certainly didn't affect the squash itself.

Zz.

Attachments

DrClaude
Mentor
Never seen this before, but it looks like its the squash's own seeds that sprouted.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Never seen this before, but it looks like its the squash's own seeds that sprouted.
Do butternut squash sprouts look the same as mung bean sprouts? I've never grown butternut squash before, so I don't know. But those sprouts sure looked like mung bean sprouts.
mung-beans-1705174_1280.jpg

There are seeds that were not sprouting. And this is not an old squash, so I'm surprised that, if these are the squash sprouts, it would be sprouting already while still inside the cavity.

Zz.

Attachments

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I've molested the turkey with the compound butter and it has gone into the oven. Good luck, Mr. Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving!
199ED551-E589-4140-B5C6-8BE18117ACD4.jpeg

Zz.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Mr Turkey made it out of the oven!

72C602D2-0BDF-46C9-83A7-9E0FC821EE7C.jpeg

Almost everyone went for the crispy skin. Yum!

Zz.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Smokin!
31C29F61-99DA-4510-8765-47932F5B6690.jpeg Sadly, we had no Nutella.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've cut open many butternut squashes, and I've never seen anything like this.

BTW, there was nothing wrong with the butternut squash. I cleaned it up, cooked it, and it turned out as usual. So whatever happened certainly didn't affect the squash itself.
I think I've seen this once, and in a butternut, too. Finding the seeds have sprouted is not uncommon in supermarket tomatoes, those hard tasteless ones, in lemons, and sometimes in apples though only to the extent of a white shoot just a few mm in length in the latter. I once planted the sprouting seeds from a lemon, and grew two impressive lemon trees, very thorny, but prolific bearers of fruit.