1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The generalization of Newton's 2nd Law to apply to variable mass systems

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    F = dp/dt = d(mv)/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) = a + v(dm/dt)

i dont understand why d(mv)/dt = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt)
    can somone help ?

TNX !:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you calculate the derivative of a product?

ehild

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    This is simply obtained by using the product rule.

dp/dt = d/dt (mv) = m(dv/dt) + v(dm/dt) (using product rule).

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. May 24, 2010 #4
    I thought that Newton's second law was true only for systems with constant mass.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  6. May 24, 2010 #5
    Well, written in the form of
    [tex] F=m \frac{dv}{dt} [/tex]
    it is valid inly for constant mass system since you assume that the mass is constant :P.

But assuming, that mass is dependant on velocity, which is true (according to SR) you get what sedaw wrote.
    Thus, the best, most general form of Newton's 2nd law is
    [tex] F=\frac{dp}{dt} [/tex]
    as it doesn't imply anything being constant ;P

7. May 24, 2010 #6
    I know that [tex]\bold{F}=\frac{d\bold{p}}{dt}[/tex] is Newton's second law, but I read that this was true only with constant masses. Also, I don't know much about special relativity (I just finished my freshman year) but I thought it proved that Galilean transformation was flawed. Since Newton's laws are based on Galilean relativity, I don't think SR can show that N2 holds even for variable masses. Can it?

8. May 24, 2010 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

Well, what you read was wrong. In nonrelativistic physics, [itex]\mathbf{F} = \mathrm{d}\mathbf{p}/\mathrm{d}t[/itex] is valid regardless of whether mass changes.

If I remember correctly, in special relativity, Newton's second law (in the above form) is used to define the relativistic generalization of force. So that equation holds true in all cases. (Caveat: there are actually a couple of ways to define the relativistic generalization of force that are not quite compatible with each other... it turns out that force is not as useful a concept in special relativity as it is in non-relativistic, Newtonian physics.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook