The lifetime of the excited states of a hydrogen atom?

In summary, the lifetimes of the excited states of the hydrogen atom can be differentiated by looking up or calculating them using knowledge of quantum mechanics and integrals. For rough estimates, it is sufficient to find the possible decay modes. The allowed decay modes for these states are only called "gamma" for nuclear transitions, but involve photon emission with possible final states of 1s. However, intermediate processes can also be observed and dipole selection rules must be considered for transitions in the hydrogen atom.
sumit_1
How can we differentiate among the lifetimes of the excited states of the hydrogen atom? The states are:
2p, 2s, 3s, 3p

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "differentiate"?

I mean which state out of the given has the highest lifetime and how?

You can look them up. You can also calculate them with some knowledge of quantum mechanics and a few integrals. The more precise you want it the more work is necessary.
For rough estimates it is sufficient to find the possible (“allowed”) decay modes.

Is this a homework question?

mfb said:
You can look them up. You can also calculate them with some knowledge of quantum mechanics and a few integrals. The more precise you want it the more work is necessary.
For rough estimates it is sufficient to find the possible (“allowed”) decay modes.

Is this a homework question?
Yes, it is a homework question. But how can I do the rough estimates on the basis of decay modes?

I moved the thread to our homework section.

Which decay modes are allowed for these states?

mfb said:
I moved the thread to our homework section.

Which decay modes are allowed for these states?
I think, it should be gamma decay since in every transition, it will emit a photon.

It is only called gamma for nuclear transitions. Photon emission, sure, but what are the possible final states in each case?

mfb said:
It is only called gamma for nuclear transitions. Photon emission, sure, but what are the possible final states in each case?
The final state in each case should be 1s.

Is the discussion over?

sumit_1 said:
Is the discussion over?
That's a premature bump. People come and go on PhysicsForums, as many are quite busy in real life.

sumit_1 said:
The final state in each case should be 1s.
Ultimately, yes. But I would imagine that the context is that of electric dipole transitions. What are the selection rules? Also, even if the there is a single final state, can't intermediate processes be observed?

Likes blue_leaf77
DrClaude said:
That's a premature bump. People come and go on PhysicsForums, as many are quite busy in real life.
That's fine.:partytime:Ultimately, yes. But I would imagine that the context is that of electric dipole transitions. What are the selection rules? Also, even if the there is a single final state, can't intermediate processes be observed?
Yes, there can be.

So what are these intermediate processes?

Can 2p directly go to 1s? Can 2s? 3s? 3p?
Which intermediate states can be reached in between?

We won't finish your homework for you here, you can only get hints.

mfb said:
So what are these intermediate processes?

Can 2p directly go to 1s? Can 2s? 3s? 3p?
Which intermediate states can be reached in between?

We won't finish your homework for you here, you can only get hints.
Yes, I know, I need only hints.
2s can go directly to 1s , but 2p will go to 2s first and then to 1s.
similarly 3s first will come to 2p then it will come to 2s and then 1s.
3p will come to 3s first and then it will follow as described above.
This is just what I am thinking. I don't have any text from which I can read properly.

sumit_1 said:
2s can go directly to 1s , but 2p will go to 2s first and then to 1s.
similarly 3s first will come to 2p then it will come to 2s and then 1s.
3p will come to 3s first and then it will follow as described above.
That's not correct. What are the dipole selection rules for transitions in the hydrogen atom? (Any decent textbook discussing those transitions will mention the selection rules.)

DrClaude said:
That's not correct. What are the dipole selection rules for transitions in the hydrogen atom? (Any decent textbook discussing those transitions will mention the selection rules.)
Could you please give me any link for this?

1. What are the excited states of a hydrogen atom?

The excited states of a hydrogen atom refer to the energy levels that an electron can occupy when it is in a higher energy state than the ground state. These states are represented by different quantum numbers, with the first excited state being n=2, the second being n=3, and so on.

2. How long do the excited states of a hydrogen atom last?

The lifetime of an excited state of a hydrogen atom can vary depending on the specific energy level. However, on average, the excited states can last for about 1 nanosecond (10^-9 seconds). This is due to the fact that the excited state is an unstable state, and the electron will eventually return to its ground state.

3. What causes the excited states of a hydrogen atom to decay?

The excited states of a hydrogen atom decay due to the emission of a photon. When an electron transitions from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, it releases energy in the form of a photon. This process is known as spontaneous emission and is the reason for the short lifetime of excited states.

4. Can the excited states of a hydrogen atom be observed?

Yes, the excited states of a hydrogen atom can be observed through spectroscopy. By passing light through a hydrogen gas, scientists can detect the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted when an electron transitions from an excited state to the ground state. This allows for the identification and study of different energy levels.

5. How do the excited states of a hydrogen atom relate to the emission spectrum?

The excited states of a hydrogen atom are directly related to the emission spectrum of hydrogen. Each energy level corresponds to a specific wavelength of light that is emitted when an electron falls from that level to the ground state. This is known as the Balmer series and is a crucial aspect of understanding the structure of atoms.