The Magnitude of the Poynting Vector

In summary, the magnitude of the Poynting vector is not equal to the intensity of an electromagnetic wave. While intensity is the time-averaged value of the Poynting vector, the Poynting vector itself represents the instantaneous power/area. The magnitude of intensity can be equal to 1/2 of the amplitude of the Poynting vector, but they are not directly equivalent.
abcdmichelle
General question: Is the magnitude of the poynting vector equal to the intensity of an electromagnetic wave? I know that I= average S which makes me think that I cannot simply assume that that their magnitudes are equal!?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Poynting vector gives the instantaneous quantity representing power/area (which does have the same units as intensity) whereas, indeed, intensity (as it is typically defined) is the time averaged value of the magnitude of the Poynting vector.

That makes sense, I guess the thing that is throwing me off is the "time-average".

Intensity = time average of S
I = <S>
I= (1/2)*c*epsilon not*Emax^2

Can I say then that
magnitude of I = magnitude of S

or would I have to say

magnitude of I = (1/2)*c*epsilon not*Emax^2 = (1/2) * S

abcdmichelle said:
Can I say then that
magnitude of I = magnitude of S

or would I have to say

magnitude of I = (1/2)*c*epsilon not*Emax^2 = (1/2) * S

You could say that the magnitude of I is equal to 1/2 of the amplitude of the Poynting vector, but that's it. One is a time-dependent quantity and one is not.

thank you!

What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical vector used to describe the direction and magnitude of electromagnetic energy flow, or power density, in a given region of space.

What is the significance of the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is significant because it helps us understand the behavior and propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetism and has practical applications in various fields including telecommunications and energy transmission.

How is the magnitude of the Poynting vector calculated?

The magnitude of the Poynting vector is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the magnetic field vector at a given point in space. This calculation can be represented by the equation S = E x H, where S is the Poynting vector, E is the electric field vector, and H is the magnetic field vector.

What factors affect the magnitude of the Poynting vector?

The magnitude of the Poynting vector is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, the distance from the source of the electromagnetic wave, and the medium through which the wave is traveling.

Why is it important to consider the magnitude of the Poynting vector?

It is important to consider the magnitude of the Poynting vector because it indicates the amount of energy being transferred by the electromagnetic wave. This information is crucial for understanding how electromagnetic waves interact with matter and for designing efficient and safe technologies that utilize electromagnetic energy.