The magnitude of the vector difference , is closest to

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the vector difference between two given vectors, A and B, with components Ax = +5.7, Ay = -3.6 and Bx = -9.8, By = -6.5. The formula for finding the magnitude of a vector is mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves finding the magnitude of A and B, and then subtracting them to get a result of 5.0. However, the correct answer is 16, which can be explained by taking into account the direction of the vectors and subtracting them head-to-tail.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

The components of vectors and are given as follows:

Ax = +5.7 Bx = -9.8
Ay = -3.6 By = -6.5

The magnitude of the vector difference ,B-A is closest to:

Homework Equations

A=square root (ax)^2+ay^2

B= square root (bx)^2 + by^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty much what I did was get the magnitude for A by using the above formula, and for A I got 6.7 and for B I got 11.79, I then subtracted B-A to get 5.0. However the answer is 16 I don't understand how that can be the case.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to account for the direction of the vectors.
To get the difference between two vectors, you subtract the vectors head-to-tail.

In terms of components:
D = B - A = (Bxi + Byj) - (Axi + Ayj)

what is |D|?

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnitude of a vector difference?

The magnitude of a vector difference can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. It is the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector difference related to vector addition?

The magnitude of a vector difference is equal to the magnitude of the resulting vector when two vectors are added together, in terms of both direction and magnitude.

3. What is the significance of the magnitude of a vector difference?

The magnitude of a vector difference represents the distance between the initial and final position of an object moving along the vector.

4. How can the magnitude of a vector difference be used in real-world applications?

The magnitude of a vector difference is used in applications such as navigation, physics, and engineering to calculate distances, velocities, and forces.

5. Can the magnitude of a vector difference be negative?

No, the magnitude of a vector difference is always a positive value. It represents the distance between two points and cannot be negative.