The magnitude of the vector difference , is closest to

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 13K views
Mdhiggenz
Messages
324
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


The components of vectors and are given as follows:

Ax = +5.7 Bx = -9.8
Ay = -3.6 By = -6.5

The magnitude of the vector difference ,B-A is closest to:


Homework Equations


A=square root (ax)^2+ay^2

B= square root (bx)^2 + by^2


The Attempt at a Solution




Pretty much what I did was get the magnitude for A by using the above formula, and for A I got 6.7 and for B I got 11.79, I then subtracted B-A to get 5.0. However the answer is 16 I don't understand how that can be the case.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot to account for the direction of the vectors.
To get the difference between two vectors, you subtract the vectors head-to-tail.

In terms of components:
D = B - A = (Bxi + Byj) - (Axi + Ayj)

what is |D|?