Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The product between quaternion

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    For example:
    i^2=?
    j^2=?
    k^2=?
    ij=?
    jk=?
    ik=?
    ijk=?
    Is ij=ji?
    And how to prove them?

And also,vector times vector, what is the product?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2
    This is from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternions

i2 = j2 = k2 = ijk = -1
    ij = k
    jk = i
    ki = j
    ji = -k
    kj = -i
    ik = -j

The first one I think is the basic definition and the rest follow from that, some of the proofs are on the wikipedia page, and what do you mean by a vector times a vector? The above equalities allow a general definition of a product of quaternions.

4. Aug 4, 2006 #3
    Just like:
    A=i+j+k
    B=2i+3j-4k
    They are both vector.
    I heard that a vector times a vector become a tensor(rank two).
    If ij=-k,ik=-j,jk=-i.
    The product is:
    (i+j+k)(2i+3j-4k)=-2-3k+4j-2k-3+4i-2j-3i+4=i+2j-5k-1
    I think it is still a vector, not a tensor(rank two).

5. Aug 4, 2006 #4
    The product of two quaternions is still a quaternion (and quaternions are not vectors). You did the multiplication wrong up there, if A and B are as you had then AB is -7i + 6j + k - 1.

You can define many products between vectors, for example in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] you have the usual cross and dot products (and the dot product generalizes to other spaces of course). Those two products can be read off the result of quaternion multiplication:

[tex]<1,1,1> \times <2,3,4> = <-7,6,1>[/tex]

and

[tex]<1,1,1> \cdot <2,3,4> = 1 = -(-1).[/tex]

In general if the product of two quaternions [itex]A = a_1 i + a_2 j + a_3 k[/itex] and [itex]B = b_1 i + b_2 j + b_3 k[/itex] is [itex]AB = C = c_1 i + c_2 j + c_3 k - c_4[/itex], then [itex]<a_1, a_2, a_3> \times <b_1, b_2, b_3> = <c_1, c_2, c_3>[/itex] and [itex]<a_1, a_2, a_3> \cdot <b_1, b_2, b_3> = c_4.[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?