The time span for which insect can see its image?

In summary, the problem involves a plane mirror of length 2m placed along the line y=-x. An insect with velocity of 4cm/s is moving along the x-axis and the question asks for the time span for which the insect can see its own image. The answer is D) 50√2 seconds. The conversation reveals that the solution involves using the laws of reflection and arranging 90 degree incident angles with the mirror.
sylwesh98
1. The problem: A plane mirror of length 2m is kept along the line y=-x as shown in the figure. An insect having velocity of 4
766b43090560fe2b414b4100dcbfbac3.png
cm/s is moving along x-axis from far away. The time span for which the insect can see its image will be:A)50 sec B)25 sec C)25√2 sec D)50√2 sec

2.The answer given is D-50√2 sec

3. The Attempt at a Solution : I've tried to solve it by using laws of reflection. but i can't get the answer that is given from the options. So please help!

My solution was : the insect can see its image form the bottom of the mirror ie., for 2m for x-axis . so the time span is 2m=200 cm
time span= 200/4=50sec
but why is the answer 50√2 .
Have i done anything wrong?

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 720
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sylwesh98 said:
using laws of reflection.
How did you use the laws of reflection? Remember, the insect has to be able to see its own image.

yah to see its own image, i thought it has to be below the mirror.

sylwesh98 said:
i thought it has to be below the mirror.
Where below the mirror?

Bystander said:
Where below the mirror?
Yah! I thought so, but i don't know for where it can see its image.

What's the angle of incidence for light from the insect to strike the mirror and return to the insect's eye(s)?

can you please say from where ant is able to see its own image? so that i can try the question again!

Bystander said:
What's the angle of incidence for light from the insect to strike the mirror and return to the insect's eye(s)?
I think it should be 90 degrees so that is see its own image

Very good. Where on the x-axis can you arrange 90 degree incident angles with the mirror?

i did a small mistake now i get it! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 714

1. How long can an insect see its own image for?

The time span for which an insect can see its own image varies depending on the type of insect. Some insects, like flies, can see their image for only a fraction of a second, while others, like dragonflies, can see their image for up to 10 seconds.

2. Can an insect see its own reflection in a mirror?

Yes, most insects are able to see their own reflection in a mirror. This is because they have compound eyes, which are made up of thousands of tiny lenses that allow them to see in multiple directions at once.

3. Why can't insects see their own reflection for a long time?

Insects have a short attention span and are easily distracted by other stimuli in their environment. This, combined with their quick movements, makes it difficult for them to focus on their own reflection for an extended period of time.

4. Do all insects have the same ability to see their own image?

No, different species of insects have varying levels of visual acuity and processing abilities. Some insects, like ants, have poor eyesight and may not be able to see their own reflection at all.

5. How does an insect's vision compare to human vision?

An insect's vision is very different from human vision. Insects have compound eyes, which allow them to see in multiple directions at once, but they have a lower resolution and color perception compared to humans. They also have a much shorter attention span and are more sensitive to movement.