The volume of a spherical cap by integrating and using Cartesian coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to derive the volume of a spherical cap using integration and the Cartesian coordinate system. The person asking the question also mentions a more complicated problem of finding the volume of the intersection of two spherical caps, and asks for advice on how to solve it.
nejla
Dear all,

How can I derive the volume of a spherical cap by integration and using the Cartesian coordinate system.

The sphere is located at the (0,0,0) coordinates and its radius is set to r. The height of the cap is also set to (r-h).

I googled a lot but I couldn't find it.

I would be enormously grateful if you could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate z(x,y)=sqrt(r^2 -x^2 -y^2) on the circle x^2 +y^2 = r^2- h^2. The substitution x=R cost, y=Rsint would simplify the integration.

Last edited:
Dear Eynstone,

Thank you sooooo much. You are generous. No DOUBT.
I asked this question because I wanted to solve another problem and now it seems that it is more complicated than what I was expecting.

May I ask you about that question?

How can I find the volume of the intersection of two spherical caps where Cap1 and Cap2 are the result of the intersection of the sphere, S, and planes P1 and P2 , respectively. the angle between P1 and p2 is Theta (0<Theta<180). S is placed at the (0,0,0) coordinates and the radius of the sphere is set to r. The height of Cap1 and Cap2 are set to h1 and h2, respectively. P1 is (z=h1) but P2 is (ax+by+cz=d) [we know both plane equations].

I was thinking that I can calculate the volume as:

f1= Integral(1,z,-sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2),sqrt(r^2-x^2-y^2))
f2=Integral(f1,y,-sqrt(r^2-h1^2-y^2),-sqrt(r^2-h1^2-y^2))
f3=Integral(f2,x, xmin, xmax)

I can find xmin and xmax

volume of the intersection of Cap1 and Cap2 = f3

Now, I am quite sure that it is wrong.
Do you have any idea that how can I calculate this volume as you are a real genius mathematician?

Many many thanks again,
Nejla

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a spherical cap using Cartesian coordinates?

The formula for calculating the volume of a spherical cap using Cartesian coordinates is V = πh^2(3r-h)/3, where h is the height of the cap and r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How do you integrate to find the volume of a spherical cap using Cartesian coordinates?

To integrate and find the volume of a spherical cap using Cartesian coordinates, we first need to set up a triple integral with respect to x, y, and z. This can be done by breaking down the spherical cap into infinitesimally thin disks and integrating each disk from the bottom of the cap to the top. We then use the formula V = ∫∫∫ dV to calculate the volume.

3. Can the volume of a spherical cap be negative?

No, the volume of a spherical cap cannot be negative as it is a physical quantity representing the amount of space enclosed by the cap. If the result of the integration is negative, it means there is an error in the calculation or the chosen coordinate system does not accurately represent the spherical cap.

4. Does the Cartesian coordinate system have any limitations when calculating the volume of a spherical cap?

The Cartesian coordinate system does not have any limitations when calculating the volume of a spherical cap. However, it may not be the most efficient coordinate system to use for certain spherical caps, such as ones with a curved surface. In these cases, other coordinate systems, such as spherical coordinates, may be more suitable.

5. Can the volume of a spherical cap be calculated without integration?

Yes, the volume of a spherical cap can also be calculated using the formula V = πh^2(3r-h)/3, where h is the height of the cap and r is the radius of the sphere. This formula is derived from the integration method and can provide a quicker and simpler solution in some cases.