The wave fuction for particle in a box

In summary, the question asks for a wave function for a particle in a potential well, from x=-l/4 to x= 3l/4. The function is given by Asinkx + B cos kx, and the solutions can be found using sin(-kl/4) + B cos (-kl/4) = 0 and sin(3kl/4) + Bcos(-3kl/4) = 0. Once the solutions are found, it is impossible to continue solving because the boundaries for x=0 to x= a case have been changed.
VHAHAHA
Whwn i am doing exercise, i don't know how to solve the follow question by myself Although i hv the ans, i want to complete it by myself. Plz give me some tips only so that i can finish this question, please also tell me how do you know the question should be solved in this way.

The question requires me to solve the wave equation for a pacticle in a infinity potential well, from x=-l/4 to x= 3l/4
I let the wave equ be the form
Asinkx + B cos kx

and i got.
Asin(-kl/4) + B cos (-kl/4) = 0
and
Asin(3kl/4) + Bcos(-3kl/4) = 0

and than i can't do anymore
it is different from to x=0 to x= a case
What should i do? Any tips?
Is there any general solution for the wave fuction of the pacticle in a box from a point x to y?

Physics news on Phys.org
Change the variable to u=x+1/4.

thinks i am now trying to calculate
Could you please tell me why u know that the varible should be changed? Due to the experience? I am not good at physics but i love it should i do more exerience to develope this sence?

sorry
i don't get it
where should i change varible
do u mean that i should differinate the fuction?
I can't normalize it caz i don't know A abd B

clem meant "let u= x+ l/4" (it's a little difficult to distinguish between "l" ('ell') and "1" ('one') depending upon which font you use.) The only purpose of that is to change the boundaries from x= -l/4 and x= 3l/4 to u= 0 and u= 1 which makes the arithmetic slightly easier.

HallsofIvy said:
(it's a little difficult to distinguish between "l" ('ell') and "1" ('one') depending upon which font you use.)
Script ell is easier to read, one reason I use UTF.

Thank you guys. I got the answer. This skill is really useful for dealing with waves in the box.
The answer is : fuction = A sin (kx + kl(ell)/4) and A = root(2/a)
am i correct?:)

1. What is the wave function for a particle in a box?

The wave function for a particle in a box is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding a particle in a particular location within a confined space, known as a box. It describes the behavior of a particle in a quantum system, taking into account both its position and momentum.

2. How is the wave function for a particle in a box calculated?

The wave function for a particle in a box is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle in the box, as well as any external forces acting on the particle.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the wave function in a particle in a box?

The boundary conditions for the wave function in a particle in a box are that the wave function must be continuous and differentiable at the boundaries of the box. In other words, the wave function must have the same value and slope at the boundaries as it does within the box.

4. What is the significance of the energy levels in the wave function for a particle in a box?

The energy levels in the wave function for a particle in a box represent the allowed energy states that a particle can have within the box. These energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values, and they correspond to the different energy levels that a particle can have in the box.

5. How does the wave function for a particle in a box relate to the uncertainty principle?

The wave function for a particle in a box is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. The wave function gives us information about the probability of finding a particle in a certain location, and this probability becomes more spread out and uncertain as the particle's momentum increases.