1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theories on Series and Parallel Resistors

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. When three different resistors are connected in parallel to a battery whose voltage output is V as in figure 2 in the lab manual: (Choose all relevant answers below)

2. When three different resistors are connected in series with a battery whose voltage output is V as in figure 2 in the lab manual: (Choose all relevant answers below)

a. The sum of the potentials across each resistor is V
    b. The sum of the currents in each resistor equals the current supplied by the battery
    c. The sum of the potentials across each resistor is zero
    d. The magnitude of the current on each resistor is the same
    e. the potential across each resistor is the same

2. Relevant equations

theory question.

3. The attempt at a solution

i think for 1 its a,e and for 2 its b, d?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you consider the series circuit, there is only one possible path - which passes through each resistor, and the battery.
    I can thus understand your 2d choice.
    However, your 2b suggestion contradicts that.

3 of the options refer to Potential (difference) across components
    Two options refer to current - one says in, one says on. I would prefer to be seeing it called the current through a component -for that is what the current does; it flows through something.

I expect you would/should be choosing one current and one potential option for each circuit.

btw: I don't like you choices for 1 either - they also contradict each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook