Seeking Info on Heat Transfer Pad

In summary, someone previously shared a link to a thermally conductive/heat transfer pad, which is commonly used in electronics. It is also known as a "gap pad" and can be easily found by searching those terms online.
russ_watters
Mentor
Someone a while back posted a link to a thermally conductive/heat transfer pad. Can't remember the details, but I remember I was intrigued by it...anyone remember what it was?

[yes, I know this is vague]

Engineering news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
Someone a while back posted a link to a thermally conductive/heat transfer pad. Can't remember the details, but I remember I was intrigued by it...anyone remember what it was?

[yes, I know this is vague]

Yes, they're commonly used in electronics, especially now that surface mount components are used. I've used them many times myself.

They are called thermally conductive pads, or "gap pads". If you google these terms, you should find it no problem.

http://www.bergquistcompany.com/pdfs/techLibrary/GapPadOverview.pdf

What is a heat transfer pad?

A heat transfer pad is a device that is used to transfer heat from one surface to another. It can be made of various materials such as silicone, rubber, or metal and is typically placed between two surfaces to facilitate the transfer of heat.

How does a heat transfer pad work?

A heat transfer pad works by using conduction to transfer heat from one surface to another. The pad is designed to have a high thermal conductivity, which allows it to absorb heat from one surface and transfer it to the other surface.

What are the benefits of using a heat transfer pad?

There are several benefits to using a heat transfer pad. It can help to evenly distribute heat, prevent overheating, and protect sensitive components from damage. It can also improve the efficiency of heat transfer and reduce energy consumption.

What are some common applications of heat transfer pads?

Heat transfer pads are commonly used in electronic devices, such as laptops and smartphones, to dissipate heat from internal components. They are also used in industrial settings for heat sinks, thermal management, and bonding surfaces together.

How do I choose the right heat transfer pad for my needs?

When choosing a heat transfer pad, consider factors such as the desired thermal conductivity, thickness, and material. It is also important to consider the intended application and any specific requirements, such as resistance to high temperatures or chemicals.