Thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser

• Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
In summary: T2 and V2. The first equation is the energy equation (conservation of energy). The second equation is the mass balance equation (volumetric flow rate).In the first equation, you have one term that is proportional to the difference in specific enthalpies, h2-h1. In the second equation, you have one term that is proportional to V2. The problem is that you don't know h2 and you don't know V2. The only way to evaluate the h2-h1 term is to assume V2 is zero (so that you can use the ideal gas table to evaluate the specific enthalpies). If you don't
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

螢幕快照 2017-11-04 下午8.35.53.png

(for higher resolution, the pdf contains the same information)

Homework Equations

(in the pic)

The Attempt at a Solution

Why can the V2 assumed to be 0 m/s in part a?
As from part two, it is not 0 m/s indeed.

Moreover, why do h1 is using data of ideal gas behavior at certain temperature without taking account of the pressure?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 螢幕快照 2017-11-04 下午8.35.53.png
    螢幕快照 2017-11-04 下午8.35.53.png
    56 KB · Views: 1,753
  • HW3soln.pdf
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,611
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your first question is that V2 shouldn't be assumed zero in part a.

The answer to your second question is that the enthalpy of an ideal gas is independent of pressure.

Hello,

V22 can be considered negligible comparing to V12.

1802=32,400 but 34.22=1,169.6. You can try to insert the value of 34.2 in the equation of part a. You will see that your result will be almost the same. However, in the mass balance, you cannot consider that the outlet has zero velocity (and consequently zero mass), because you automatically set the one side of the equation equal to zero.

As for the enhalpy h1, maybe table A-17 is for air at atmospheric pressure. Both pressures are very close to the atmospheric pressure (90 kPa and 100 kPa are 0.888 and 0.987 atm respectively.).

DoItForYourself said:
Hello,

1802=32,400 but 34.22=1,169.6. You can try to insert the value of 34.2 in the equation of part a. You will see that your result will be almost the same. However, in the mass balance, you cannot consider that the outlet has zero velocity (and consequently zero mass), because you automatically set the one side of the equation equal to zero.

As for the enhalpy h1, maybe table A-17 is for air at atmospheric pressure. Both pressures are very close to the atmospheric pressure (90 kPa and 100 kPa are 0.888 and 0.987 atm respectively.).
Are you saying that the enthalpy of an ideal gas (required by the called-for assumptions) is not independent of pressure?

DoItForYourself said:
Hello,

yecko said:
Why can the V2 assumed to be 0 m/s in part a?
As from part two, it is not 0 m/s indeed.

Moreover, why do h1 is using data of ideal gas behavior at certain temperature without taking account of the pressure

Do you mean both of my answer is because the difference is negligible?

DoItForYourself said:
V22 can be considered negligible comparing to V12"
How can I know that this before I calculate for part B?

Thanks

Chestermiller said:
Are you saying that the enthalpy of an ideal gas (required by the called-for assumptions) is not independent of pressure?

It was my fault, the enthalpy is independent of pressure according to the assumptions of the problem. I forgot the assumption number 2.

DoItForYourself said:
the enthalpy is independent of pressure according to the assumptions of the problem
where did you get that? (i can't find this piece of information in assumption...)
Chestermiller said:
The answer to your first question is that V2 shouldn't be assumed zero in part a.
so why do the solution put zero as v2?

thanks

yecko said:
Do you mean both of my answer is because the difference is negligible?How can I know that this before I calculate for part B?

Thanks

For your first question : As long as there is only a small change in pressure and the area becomes 4 times the inlet area, you can assume that the velocity in the outlet would be approximately 4 times smaller, because of the mass balance (for volumetric flow).

Volumetric flow=velocity x area through which the flow occurs. For approximately the same volumetric flow (small pressure increase), for 4 times bigger area, the velocity will be 4 times smaller (approximately). In order to be more accurate, the solution must have included the V22, so we would have a 2x2 system. I think the reason why the solution does not inlude V22, is because the problem would be more difficult (you must go to the table A-17 each time to determine the temperature from enthalpy), but the result would be almost the same.

For your second question : The enthalpy of an ideal gas is independent of pressure. Assumption 2 states that air is an ideal gas.

yecko said:
where did you get that? (i can't find this piece of information in assumption...)

thanks
The solution tells you to assume that the gas is an ideal gas. In addition to PV=nRT, another axiomatic characteristic of an ideal gas that you should be aware of is that the enthalpy and internal energy are functions only of temperature (and not volume or pressure at a given temperature).

DoItForYourself said:
As long as there is only a small change in pressure and the area becomes 4 times the inlet area, you can assume that the velocity in the outlet would be approximately 4 times smaller, because of the mass balance (for volumetric flow).
so if there is ideal gas I can assume the v2 is zero?
how can I assume an increase of even a 4% increase or 4 times of inlet area is with or without change of velocity in the calculation?
thanks

You can assume v22 is zero comparing to v12, because you have a small increase in pressure and the area becomes 4 times bigger:

You could (initially) say that the velocity would be 4 times smaller, so v22 would be roughly 1/16 v12. Consequently, If you assume v2 is zero in part a, the error would be small.

yecko said:
so if there is ideal gas I can assume the v2 is zero?
how can I assume an increase of even a 4% increase or 4 times of inlet area is with or without change of velocity in the calculation?
thanks
You have two coupled algebraic equations in 2 unknowns, T2 and V2. One way of solving a set of equations like this is by " the method of successive substitutions." You assume a value for one of the unknowns, in this case V2 = 0, and then easily solve for the other variable T2. Then you take the value of T2 you obtained, substitute it into your other equation, and solve for a "corrected" value of V2. Then you take the corrected value of V2 you obtained, and solve for a new value of T2. Etc. If this scheme converges, you will have your answer after several iterations (when the calculated values of T2 and V2 stop changing significantly). Why don't you try this full scheme and see how it plays out?

Last edited:

1. What is a thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser?

A thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser is a device used in thermodynamics to increase the pressure and decrease the velocity of a fluid, while maintaining constant temperature. It is typically used in gas turbine engines to convert the high-velocity, low-pressure air into low-velocity, high-pressure air for combustion.

2. How does a thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser work?

A thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser works by increasing the cross-sectional area of a pipe or duct, which allows the fluid to expand and decrease in velocity while maintaining constant temperature. This expansion causes the pressure to increase, resulting in a more stable and efficient flow of fluid.

3. What is the difference between an adiabatic and isentropic diffuser?

Both adiabatic and isentropic diffusers are used to increase pressure and decrease velocity of a fluid, but they differ in their approach. An adiabatic diffuser maintains constant temperature while an isentropic diffuser maintains constant entropy. This means that in an isentropic diffuser, there may be some heat transfer between the fluid and surroundings, while in an adiabatic diffuser, there is no heat transfer.

4. What are the applications of a thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser?

A thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser is commonly used in gas turbine engines, as well as other industrial applications such as air compressors and refrigeration systems. It is also used in wind tunnels to simulate high-speed flows.

5. How is the efficiency of a thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser measured?

The efficiency of a thermodynamics-adiabatic diffuser is typically measured by the total pressure recovery, which is the ratio of the actual increase in pressure to the maximum possible increase in pressure. The higher the total pressure recovery, the more efficient the diffuser is at converting kinetic energy into pressure energy.