1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Air and Steam Mixtures

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A vessel of 0.3m3 capacity contains a mixture of air and steam which is 0.75 dry. If the pressure is 7 bar and temperature is 116.9 degree Celsius, find: Mass of water present, mass of dry saturated vapour, mass of air.
    Answer key: 0.102kg, 0.307kg, 1.394kg

2. Relevant equations
    Relative humidity = mv/mg = Pv/Pg (pressure of vapour/ pressure of dry saturated vapour)
    humidity ratio = mv/ma
    Moist Volume V = total volume/mass of dry air

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to determine the mass of dry saturated vapour. The moist volume (V) of dry saturated vapour from the steam table is 0.9774m3/kg and hence:

0.9974 = volume/mass of dry saturated vapour
    0.9974 = 0.3/mg
    mg = 0.3069kg

I have absolutely no idea however, on how to find the other two masses. I don't understand the term 0.75 dry, I don't know how to find the mass of water (is this mass of water vapour???) without relative humidity. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

What does that mean? :

"... a mixture of air and steam which is 0.75 dry ..."

would that mean that 75% of the water is vapor and 25% is liquid ?
    If this is the case, you know that the steam is saturated and you can find its partial pressure Pv.
    Then you know also the partial pressure of air: Ptot - Pv = 7 - Pv .

The rest of the problem is then a simple conversion of quantities from partial pressure to masses.

4. Apr 21, 2014 #3
    Which means that the air is 100% saturated in order for the saturated vapour (Pg) to be equal to Pv. Am I correct?
    Because if from the steam table I would only get Pg, not Pv. But since you said I can find Pv, that means Pg is equal to Pv?

Thank you.

5. Apr 21, 2014 #4
    Yes.

Chet

6. Apr 21, 2014 #5
    Thank you, everyone!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted