Thermodynamics- Calculating work done by turbine.

In summary, the problem involves using an ideal gas (air) in a turbine to produce work and then expanding it through a Joule-Thomson expansion to atmospheric pressure. The air enters the turbine at 1 MPa and 500 C and exits at 150 C. The turbine loses 2 kJ/min of heat and the goal is to find the work produced and the temperature at the end of the Joule-Thomson expansion. Using the energy balance equation and the fact that the process is steady state, the work produced is found to be in kW. For the Joule-Thomson expansion, the enthalpy remains the same and using the equation deltaH=Cp(deltaT), the temperature at the end is found
supahtofu
Hello, everyone I would very much appreciate some help on this Intro to Thermo 2 problem if someone could give advice even a little would be helpful.1. Air (for this example, an ideal gas) is being used to produce work in a turbine and then is expanded to atmospheric pressure (101.2 kPa) through a Joule-Thomson expansion then released to the environment. The turbine is producing work and takes in 100g/min of air at
1 MPa at 500 C. Air exits the turbine at 150C. Cv=20J/mol*K Mw=29g/mol
a.) The turbine loses 2kJ/min of heat, determine the work produced by the turbine.
b.) Find T2 of the joule-thomson expansion.

Homework Equations

energy balance: d/dt(U+M(V^2/2+gh)=Mk(mass flow) (H+v^2/2+gh)+Q+W

deltaH=Cp(deltaT)

Cp=Cv+R

PV=nrT (possibly relevant?)

Here is my attempt at a solution:

a.) So in the energy balance you can get rid of irrelevant terms and simplify down to 0=Mk(H)+Q+w. Am I correct in making the left side 0, since it is most likely steady state? Nothing is changing with respect to time and I don't believe there is internal energy change.

now I solved for H using deltaH=Cp(deltaT) finding cp with cv and R. Then I solved for W and found the answer in kW. I believe this is right but I don't know if my assumption of the left side being 0 is wrong, also I feel weird not using that 1 MPa for anything.

b.) In a Joule-Thomson expansion Hin=Hout so the energy balance becomes Mk(deltaH) M1=M2 so its just deltaH thewn I used delta H equation to get 0=Cp*deltaT and solved for T2, I feel confident but I didnt even use Pin or Pout, am I missing something here?[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) seems correct. Within the turbine there is considered stady flow, steady state so your assumption is correct.

b) Yes H1=H2 for Joule Thompson in many cases.
If though you solve for 0 = Cp delta T , do you not get T2=T1, so I must be missing something here also on how to solve this.

1. What is work done by a turbine in thermodynamics?

The work done by a turbine in thermodynamics is the amount of energy transferred by the turbine to its surroundings. In other words, it is the energy that is used to drive a turbine and produce mechanical work.

2. How is work done by a turbine calculated?

The work done by a turbine is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the turbine by the distance it moves. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In thermodynamics, this calculation also takes into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and entropy.

3. What is the significance of calculating work done by a turbine in thermodynamics?

The calculation of work done by a turbine is significant in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the efficiency of a turbine and its ability to convert energy from one form to another. It also allows us to analyze the performance of a turbine and make improvements for optimal energy conversion.

4. What are some common units for measuring work done by a turbine in thermodynamics?

The most common units for measuring work done by a turbine in thermodynamics are joules (J), Newton-meters (N-m), and kilowatt-hours (kWh). Other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and calories (cal) may also be used, but they are less commonly used in scientific calculations.

5. Can the work done by a turbine be negative?

Yes, the work done by a turbine can be negative. This means that the turbine is actually receiving energy from its surroundings instead of transferring it. In thermodynamics, this can happen when the turbine is used in a refrigeration system, where it is used to compress a gas and remove heat from a space.