1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics- Calculating work done by turbine.

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Hello, everyone I would very much appreciate some help on this Intro to Thermo 2 problem if someone could give advice even a little would be helpful.

1. Air (for this example, an ideal gas) is being used to produce work in a turbine and then is expanded to atmospheric pressure (101.2 kPa) through a Joule-Thomson expansion then released to the environment. The turbine is producing work and takes in 100g/min of air at
    1 MPa at 500 C. Air exits the turbine at 150C. Cv=20J/mol*K Mw=29g/mol
    a.) The turbine loses 2kJ/min of heat, determine the work produced by the turbine.
    b.) Find T2 of the joule-thomson expansion.

2. Relevant equations

energy balance: d/dt(U+M(V^2/2+gh)=Mk(mass flow) (H+v^2/2+gh)+Q+W

deltaH=Cp(deltaT)

Cp=Cv+R

PV=nrT (possibly relevant?)

Here is my attempt at a solution:

a.) So in the energy balance you can get rid of irrelevant terms and simplify down to 0=Mk(H)+Q+w. Am I correct in making the left side 0, since it is most likely steady state? Nothing is changing with respect to time and I don't believe there is internal energy change.

now I solved for H using deltaH=Cp(deltaT) finding cp with cv and R. Then I solved for W and found the answer in kW. I believe this is right but I don't know if my assumption of the left side being 0 is wrong, also I feel weird not using that 1 MPa for anything.

b.) In a Joule-Thomson expansion Hin=Hout so the energy balance becomes Mk(deltaH) M1=M2 so its just deltaH thewn I used delta H equation to get 0=Cp*deltaT and solved for T2, I feel confident but I didnt even use Pin or Pout, am I missing something here???

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2012 #2
    a) seems correct. Within the turbine there is considered stady flow, steady state so your assumption is correct.

b) Yes H1=H2 for Joule Thompson in many cases.
    If though you solve for 0 = Cp delta T , do you not get T2=T1, so I must be missing something here also on how to solve this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook