Thermodynamics Compressor problem

That entropy difference is equal to the integral of dQ/T. Since the process is isentropic, you can set that equal to zero and solve for the exit temperature.In summary, the problem involves determining the minimum energy consumption of a compressor per mol of Cl2 required to recycle it at a temperature of 100 degrees Celsius. The formula for the entropy change of an ideal gas can potentially be used to solve for the entering temperature, which in this case would be the exit temperature from the recovery system. The suggested method is to find the difference in entropy between the feed and exit, which can be achieved by setting the integral of dQ/T
sero2000

Homework Statement

A chlorinator operates at twice the pressure of the Cl2 recovery stream. To recycle the Cl2, it has to be compressed. Whats the minimium energy consumption of the compressor (per mol of Cl2) if it leaves the recovery stream at 100 Degrees. Assume isentropic and Q = 0

Cp = 36J/Mol.K

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly have no idea where to start. A little kick start or tips would really help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the equation for the entropy change of an ideal gas? I'm not sure whether or not to treat the Cl2 as such, but if so then you could use that equation to solve for the entering temperature.

Maylis said:
Do you know the equation for the entropy change of an ideal gas? I'm not sure whether or not to treat the Cl2 as such, but if so then you could use that equation to solve for the entering temperature.

I think you meant the exit temperature. The entering temperature to the compressor, 100C, is the exit temperature from the recovery system.

Chet

1. What is a thermodynamics compressor?

A thermodynamics compressor is a device used to increase the pressure and temperature of a gas by reducing its volume. It works by using mechanical energy to compress the gas, which results in an increase in temperature and pressure.

2. How does a compressor work?

A compressor works by taking in a gas at a low pressure and volume, and then using a piston or other mechanism to decrease the volume of the gas. As the volume decreases, the pressure and temperature of the gas increases. The compressed gas is then used for various purposes such as powering machinery or refrigeration.

3. What is the difference between a compressor and an air conditioner?

A compressor is a general term for any device that compresses gas, while an air conditioner is a specific type of compressor used for cooling air. Air conditioners use a compressor to compress a refrigerant gas, which then cools the air passing through the system. Other types of compressors, such as those used in engines or industrial processes, may compress different types of gas for different purposes.

4. What are the common problems with thermodynamics compressors?

Some common problems with thermodynamics compressors include leaks in the system, motor failure, and issues with valves or other components. These problems can lead to decreased efficiency, increased energy costs, and potentially costly repairs if not addressed promptly.

5. How can I maintain my thermodynamics compressor?

To maintain a thermodynamics compressor, it is important to regularly check for any leaks, ensure that all components are functioning properly, and clean or replace filters as needed. It is also recommended to have a professional inspection and maintenance service performed periodically to keep the compressor in good working condition and prevent any major issues from arising.