Thermodynamics Entropy +2nd law problem

In summary, the problem involves expanding propane at 350 degrees Celsius and 600cm^3/mol in a turbine with atmospheric exhaust. The lowest possible exhaust temperature and work obtained are requested, assuming ideal gas behavior and negligible heat transfer. Using equations for isentropic processes, the pressure can be calculated as 8.633*10^6 Pa. This is an isentropic process due to the lack of heat transfer to the surroundings.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Propane at 350 degrees Celsius and 600cm^3 / mol is expanded in a turbine. The exhaust is atmospheric. What is the lowest possible exhaust temperature? How much work is obtained? You may assume ideal gas behavior and the heat transfer to the surroundings is negligible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten too far but I would like someone to confirm what I have done so far is correct, I went straight to finding the work done which by using a form of Bernoulli's is W/n = [tex]\int vdP[/tex] to find the first pressure I did Ideal Gas Law P1=(350+273)*n*(8.314)/(600cm^3/mol) to get a specific Pressure(the problem didn't give any mole information or mass) Then I did the integral and found Work/mol but I am getting an extremely large number for the initial pressure (8.633*10^6 Pa). I'm a little iffy on if I can actually use a specific pressure here can anyone help please

Physics news on Phys.org
you can find propane mole mass: it's CH3-CH2-CH3, so it's 3×12 + 8×1 = 44 kg/kmol.
i get the same pressure as you did. it's not that high pressure for a turbine, i guess. note that pressure cannot be specific, it doesn't depend on mass or mole mass.
since heat transfer to the surroundings is negligible, you should use equations for isentropic processes. search wikipedia for isentropic or adiabatic or so, there must be equations like (p1/p2) = (T1/T2)^(sth).
to calculate work, you don't have to start with that integral. just use the equations already derived from that integral.

thank you very much I got it.

although pressure cannot be specific is this calculation of pressure correcT? what I mean is will the pressure calculated here work for the rest of the problem?

also how do I know this is an isentropic process

Last edited:
sure it'll work, juse keep in mind results will be in units of Joule/kg or Joule/mole or m3/kg etc.

this is isentropic because there is no heat transfer to the surroundings.

FAQ: Thermodynamics Entropy +2nd law problem

1. What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that natural processes tend to move towards a state of disorder or randomness, rather than order.

2. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the amount of energy that is no longer available to do work. The concept of entropy is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to entropy?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. This means that the disorder or randomness in a system will always increase over time. Conversely, if the entropy of a system decreases, it means that the system is becoming more ordered or organized, which goes against the natural tendency described by the second law of thermodynamics.

4. What is a common problem involving thermodynamics and entropy?

A common problem involving thermodynamics and entropy is the calculation of the change in entropy for a given process. This can involve determining the initial and final states of a system, as well as the amount of energy that is transferred as heat or work during the process.

5. How is the second law of thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

The second law of thermodynamics has numerous real-world applications, such as in energy production, refrigeration, and climate change. It helps us understand why certain processes are irreversible and why energy efficiency is important in engineering and technology. The second law also plays a crucial role in understanding the concept of entropy in ecology and biology.