Thermodynamics: heat needed to melt block of a metal

In summary, the latent heat of fusion for this metal is 500 Cal/kg and the latent heat of vaporization is 600 Cal/kg. The specific heat of the liquid metal is 500 C/kg K. To calculate how much heat is needed to melt an 8kg block of this metal at its melting point, we use the formula Q = m * Latent heat. Therefore, the answer is 8 * 500 = 4000 Cal. However, the answer choices provided do not match this result and may be incorrect.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

the latent heat of fusion for this metal is 500Cal/kg. The latent heat of vaporization is 600Cal/kg and specific heat of the liquid metal is 500C/kg K. How much heat is needed to melt an 8kg block of this metal when its temperature is exactly at the melting point?

Homework Equations

T= kelvins
c=specific heat
Q is heat needed

Q= m*c*delta T
Q=m*Latent heat (either fusion or vapor)

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= 8 * 500Cal/kg

Will someone please sho wme how to do this>?

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think your answer is wrong?

The answer was 1600..?

thats the problem. my coices are 400, 100, 200, 1600 and none of the above. and i answered none the above, but answer is 1600.

teggenspiller said:
thats the problem. my coices are 400, 100, 200, 1600 and none of the above. and i answered none the above, but answer is 1600.

But the answer is clearly NOT 1600. So apparently the marker (or marking program) or the question statement is wrong.

What units are the answers given in? The only thing i can think of is that the answers are given in some unit besides Calories? Either that, or the answers are wrong.

what are the units of energy, cal or cal/kg ?

ahg i see.

Related to Thermodynamics: heat needed to melt block of a metal

1. How much heat is needed to melt a block of metal?

The amount of heat needed to melt a block of metal depends on the specific metal and its melting point. Each metal has a unique heat of fusion, which is the amount of heat required to melt one gram of the metal at its melting point. This value can be found in thermodynamic tables or calculated using the metal's specific heat capacity and melting point.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat needed to melt a metal?

The main factors that affect the amount of heat needed to melt a metal are its specific heat capacity, melting point, and mass. Other factors such as pressure and impurities in the metal can also impact the heat required.

3. How does the heat needed to melt a metal relate to its melting point?

The heat needed to melt a metal is directly proportional to its melting point. This means that as the melting point of a metal increases, so does the amount of heat needed to melt it.

4. Can the heat needed to melt a metal be calculated?

Yes, the heat needed to melt a metal can be calculated using the formula Q = m * ΔHf, where Q is the heat needed, m is the mass of the metal, and ΔHf is the heat of fusion. This formula applies to ideal conditions and may not account for all factors that can affect the heat required.

5. How does the heat needed to melt a metal differ from its heat of fusion?

The heat needed to melt a metal is the total amount of heat required to completely change the metal from solid to liquid. On the other hand, the heat of fusion is the amount of heat needed to melt a specific quantity of the metal, typically one gram. In other words, the heat needed to melt a metal is the total energy needed, while the heat of fusion is the amount of energy per unit mass.