Is nitrogen at 27˚C and 100 kPa an ideal gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ideal gases and how to determine if a gas, specifically nitrogen, at a given temperature and pressure is an ideal gas. The conversation mentions the use of the compressibility factor and specific volume to determine this, but the specific volume for nitrogen at the given conditions is not readily available. The principle of corresponding states is then brought up, which states that the compressibility factor is a unique function of reduced pressure and reduced temperature, regardless of the substance. With this information, it is concluded that the compressibility factor for nitrogen can be found using the given information of room temperature and atmospheric pressure. Therefore, it can be assumed that nitrogen at the given conditions is an ideal gas.
tommyninetwo
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Hello everyone. I stumbled across a problem while studying for my exam that I cannot confidently answer.

Can we assume nitrogen at the temperature of 27˚C and the pressure of 100 kPa an ideal gas? Justify your answer.

The definition of an ideal gas is "...a gas whose molecules are spaced far apart that the behavior of a molecule is not influenced by the presence of other molecules-a situation encountered at low densities."

I know that we can use the compressibility factor to find out if its not an idea gas or not but I am missing the specific volume.

z=Pν/RT

where z is the compressibility factor and ν is the specific volume.

I checked the ideal gas properties of nitrogen table in my book but it doesn't include specific volume.

How am I supposed to know if nitrogen at this temperature and pressure is an ideal gas or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:

I don't understand ideal gases conceptually well enough to get any useful information out of that. I already looked at that before I posted here.

But I believe I might have an answer for it. Since we need two independent properties to identify the state of the system, and pressure and temperature is dependent, I cannot assume that this nitrogen gas will be an ideal gas. Does this seem correct?

tommyninetwo said:
I know that we can use the compressibility factor to find out if its not an idea gas or not but I am missing the specific volume.

z=Pν/RT

where z is the compressibility factor and ν is the specific volume.
This is not an area in which I have much experience, but it seems to me that if you're lacking the specific volume you should be able to calculate it, no? A web search turns up a Wikipedia entry for it and provides an equation that can be used to calculate it for an ideal gas. It also has a table entry for Nitrogen (although it's for Nitrogen at STP).

Have you ever heard of the principle of corresponding states? What is the value of the reduced pressure and the reduced temperature of N2 in your example? From the graph in your textbook, what is the value of the compressibility factor z?

Last edited:
gneill said:
This is not an area in which I have much experience, but it seems to me that if you're lacking the specific volume you should be able to calculate it, no? A web search turns up a Wikipedia entry for it and provides an equation that can be used to calculate it for an ideal gas. It also has a table entry for Nitrogen (although it's for Nitrogen at STP).

Specific volume is the inverse of density. However, as you know, density changes with temperature. So I would need the density or specific volume at 27°C but I cannot find it in my ideal-gas properties for nitrogen table and cannot find it online.

tommyninetwo said:
Specific volume is the inverse of density. However, as you know, density changes with temperature. So I would need the density or specific volume at 27°C but I cannot find it in my ideal-gas properties for nitrogen table and cannot find it online.
What if I told you that you don't need to know the specific volume to answer this question.

Chestermiller said:
Have you ever heard of the principle of corresponding states? What is the value of the reduced pressure and the reduced temperature of N2 in your example? From the graph in your textbook, what is the value of the compressibility factor z?

If fluids compared at reduced pressure and reduced temperature have about the same compressibility factor. I would have to find the actual pressure and actual temperature of the fluid (lets say He) I am comparing it to, then find out if helium at that pressure and temperature is an ideal-gas or not. Wouldn't I be at where I started from but now I'm seeing if helium is ideal-gas or not using the same properties instead of nitrogen?

In summary, If I'm not able to find the compressiblity factor of nitrogen given the properties, how can I find the compressibility factor of helium?

Chestermiller said:
What if I told you that you don't need to know the specific volume to answer this question.

I would love to know how else to solve this problem.

tommyninetwo said:
If fluids compared at reduced pressure and reduced temperature have about the same compressibility factor. I would have to find the actual pressure and actual temperature of the fluid (lets say He) I am comparing it to, then find out if helium at that pressure and temperature is an ideal-gas or not. Wouldn't I be at where I started from but now I'm seeing if helium is ideal-gas or not using the same properties instead of nitrogen?

In summary, If I'm not able to find the compressiblity factor of nitrogen given the properties, how can I find the compressibility factor of helium?
The principle of corresponding states says the the compressibility factor z is a unique function of the reduced pressure (pressure divided by critical pressure) and reduced temperature (temperature divided by critical temperature), irrespective of what substance you are considering.

Likes tommyninetwo
zfactor.PNG

Likes tommyninetwo
Chestermiller said:
The principle of corresponding states says the the compressibility factor z is a unique function of the reduced pressure (pressure divided by critical pressure) and reduced temperature (temperature divided by critical temperature), irrespective of what substance you are considering.

Since the compressibilty factor is a unique function of reduced pressure and reduced temperature, that is the only information required for me to find z. Correct?

Chestermiller said:

I see it now, with Pr and Tr, I can find what z is. And I can find Pr and Tr with the given information.

Thank you for your help, I understand this much better now.

tommyninetwo said:
Can we assume nitrogen at the temperature of 27˚C and the pressure of 100 kPa an ideal gas? Justify your answer.
Look, you are told you have nitrogen at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. It is about 80% of the air that you breathe with every breath. Its volume expands 700 times when it turns from liquid to gas at 77 K and more when it reaches room temperature. Do you or do you not think that it fulfills the condition of
tommyninetwo said:
"...a gas whose molecules are spaced far apart that the behavior of a molecule is not influenced by the presence of other molecules-a situation encountered at low densities." ...
?

kuruman said:
Look, you are told you have nitrogen at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. It is about 80% of the air that you breathe with every breath. Its volume expands 700 times when it turns from liquid to gas at 77 K and more when it reaches room temperature. Do you or do you not think that it fulfills the condition of
?

I wanted to understand the general idea behind this question instead of finding the answer from a specific scenario if that makes sense.

Last edited:
tommyninetwo said:
Since the compressibilty factor is a unique function of reduced pressure and reduced temperature, that is the only information required for me to find z. Correct?
Yes

tommyninetwo said:
... but what if the numbers start to skew and I cannot easily determine it?
The ideal gas is just a model, an idealization, hence the name. If the numbers start to skew, this means you have measurements that are accurate enough to detect a breakdown of the ideal gas model. In that case you will have to come up with a more refined model. In short, if you have numbers telling you that the gas you are considering is not ideal, then it is not. If you have numbers that cannot tell otherwise, then the gas is ideal for all intents and purposes of interpreting your numbers.
The original question you posted asks whether it is a good assumption to treat nitrogen at room temperature as if it were an ideal gas and why. Concentrate on deciding whether it fulfills the criteria of the model.

On edit: It will probably be more comfortable for you to go the compressibility route, so I will butt out and let Chestermiller see you through.

Likes tommyninetwo
kuruman said:
The ideal gas is just a model, an idealization, hence the name. If the numbers start to skew, this means you have measurements that are accurate enough to detect a breakdown of the ideal gas model. In that case you will have to come up with a more refined model. In short, if you have numbers telling you that the gas you are considering is not ideal, then it is not. If you have numbers that cannot tell otherwise, then the gas is ideal for all intents and purposes of interpreting your numbers.
The original question you posted asks whether it is a good assumption to treat nitrogen at room temperature as if it were an ideal gas and why. Concentrate on deciding whether it fulfills the criteria of the model.

On edit: It will probably be more comfortable for you to go the compressibility route, so I will butt out and let Chestermiller see you through.

I understand that I could assume that nitrogen is an ideal gas at that temperature and pressure but I was having trouble understanding what makes a gas ideal in the first place. Only thing I knew that I could relate to this problem was that there is a range in the compressiblity factor where the gas is ideal. Your explanation also made sense to me and I appreciate you doing that for me. I now have a much better understanding of how to tackle a problem like this now.

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat and other forms of energy, and how they are affected by physical processes and changes.

What are ideal gases?

Ideal gases are theoretical gases that follow the ideal gas law, which describes the behavior of gases under certain conditions. They have no intermolecular forces, occupy no volume, and have perfectly elastic collisions.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, temperature, volume, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How do ideal gases behave?

Ideal gases behave in accordance with the ideal gas law, meaning they have a linear relationship between pressure and volume, and directly proportional relationships between pressure and temperature, and volume and temperature.

What are the assumptions of ideal gases?

The assumptions of ideal gases include that they have no intermolecular forces, occupy no volume, and have perfectly elastic collisions. These assumptions are not always true in real gases, but they are useful for simplifying calculations and understanding the behavior of gases.