1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics problem

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm getting a bit stuck with this problem..

Given a volume, it's specific heat at constant volume, an initial temperature, pressure (atmospheric) and the power of a heater within this volume, I am expected to calculate the change in temperature for the body.

2. Relevant equations
    I understand that Cv=du/dT. I also understand that the volume doesnt change as it is an isochoric process.

We get dT= dq/Cv=du/Cv. I don't understnad how to get the heat value. I've converted the power of the heater from Watts to Joules per hour..

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

From the data given you can calculate temperature change per time unit only (so you can say "temperature increased by ... °C per second", but not "temperature increased by ... °C").

4. May 9, 2013 #3
    how can i calculate the change of heat though, wiht what has been given to me?

5. May 9, 2013 #4
    am I expected to look up the internal energy on a superheated table and interpolate across to find the first internal energy?

6. May 10, 2013 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You can't without assuming some period of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted