Solve Thermodynamics Problem: Change in Temp w/ Volume, Power & Specific Heat

In summary, This problem involves calculating the change in temperature for a body given its volume, specific heat at constant volume, initial temperature, atmospheric pressure, and power of a heater within the volume. The equation used is dT=dq/Cv=du/Cv, and the heat value can be determined by converting the power of the heater from Watts to Joules per hour. However, without a specified time period, the change in heat cannot be calculated.
tigertan

Homework Statement

I'm getting a bit stuck with this problem..

Given a volume, it's specific heat at constant volume, an initial temperature, pressure (atmospheric) and the power of a heater within this volume, I am expected to calculate the change in temperature for the body.

Homework Equations

I understand that Cv=du/dT. I also understand that the volume doesn't change as it is an isochoric process.

We get dT= dq/Cv=du/Cv. I don't understnad how to get the heat value. I've converted the power of the heater from Watts to Joules per hour..

Physics news on Phys.org
From the data given you can calculate temperature change per time unit only (so you can say "temperature increased by ... °C per second", but not "temperature increased by ... °C").

how can i calculate the change of heat though, wiht what has been given to me?

am I expected to look up the internal energy on a superheated table and interpolate across to find the first internal energy?

tigertan said:
how can i calculate the change of heat though, wiht what has been given to me?

You can't without assuming some period of time.

1. How do you calculate the change in temperature in a thermodynamics problem?

In order to calculate the change in temperature, you will need to use the formula ΔT = Q / (m x c), where ΔT is the change in temperature, Q is the heat added or removed, m is the mass of the substance, and c is the specific heat of the substance.

2. What is the relationship between volume and temperature in thermodynamics?

The relationship between volume and temperature in thermodynamics is described by Charles' Law, which states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the volume also increases, and vice versa.

3. How does power affect the change in temperature in a thermodynamics problem?

In thermodynamics, power is the rate at which energy is transferred. The higher the power, the faster the change in temperature will occur. This is because more energy is being transferred per unit of time, leading to a greater change in temperature.

4. What is specific heat and why is it important in thermodynamics problems?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass of a substance by one degree. It is an important factor in thermodynamics problems because it determines the amount of heat needed to cause a change in temperature. Different substances have different specific heats, which can greatly affect the outcome of a thermodynamics problem.

5. Can the change in temperature be negative in a thermodynamics problem?

Yes, the change in temperature can be negative in a thermodynamics problem. This would occur when heat is removed from a substance, causing its temperature to decrease. It is important to pay attention to the signs in thermodynamics problems, as a negative change in temperature could indicate a cooling process rather than a heating process.