Find the Final Temperature of Metal and Water in a Thermodynamics Problem

In summary, a 100-g piece of metal at 75°C is submerged in 100 g of water at 25°C. Using the equation q=mc(delta T) and plugging in the specific heat capacities of iron and water, we can solve for the final temperature of both substances. However, the term for the metal should be (75-Tfinal) as it only loses heat. This correction will lead to the correct final temperature.
physicsman2
1. Homework Statement
A 100-g piece of metal initially at T = 75oC is submerged in 100 g of water initially at T = 25oC. The specific heat capacity of iron is 0.45 J g-1 °C-1 and the specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 J g-1 °C-1. What is the final temperature of both substances in oC?

2. Homework Equations
q=mc(delta T)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
well i tried to set mc(delta T)=mc(delta T), plug in all the values and solve for T(final), but i keep getting the wrong answer

Physics news on Phys.org
What numbers did you put for each of the changes in temperature?

mc(delta T)=mc(delta T)

(100)(.45)(T(final)-75)=100(4.184)(T(final)-25)

i solved that for T(final) but still got the wrong answer

physicsman2 said:
mc(delta T)=mc(delta T)

(100)(.45)(T(final)-75)=100(4.184)(T(final)-25)

i solved that for T(final) but still got the wrong answer

For the term on the left side, (the metal at 75), it can't gain heat, it only loses heat. So That should be (75-Tfinal). Understand?

oh, now i understand, thank you so much

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature, and how they affect physical systems.

What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy (or disorder) always increases in a closed system. The third law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

How is thermodynamics used in real life?

Thermodynamics is used in a wide range of applications, including energy production and storage, refrigeration and air conditioning, engines and turbines, and chemical reactions. It also has applications in biology, meteorology, and materials science.

What is the difference between heat and temperature in thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference between them. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. While heat and temperature are related, they are not the same thing.

What is the significance of thermodynamics in understanding the behavior of matter?

Thermodynamics allows us to understand how energy and heat flow affects the behavior of matter, from the microscopic level of individual particles to the macroscopic level of large systems. It also helps us predict and control the behavior of matter in various physical and chemical processes.