1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Unsteady Flow (Charging) Process

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    Please see the attached photo.

I am not sure how to proceed. I do not know Mi or M2, nor do I have enough information to determine the temperature at point two (when the valve is closed). Any help getting me going along will be much appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2
    Hi afpskierx,

Have you find the [itex]u_2[/itex] by doing interpolation? I got the answer for [itex]u_2[/itex] = 3047.35 kJ/kg

At state 1, I don't quite understand with the question which stated that that mass of saturated mixture of water is 12kg.

So, I assume the quality, x = mass of vapour / total mass. You will get 7.2kg for your mass of vapour.

At state 2 (which is the [itex]P_2[/itex] = 400kPa and [itex]T_2[/itex] = 450 C) I assume it SUPERHEATED VAPOUR seems the [itex]T_2[/itex] larger than saturated temperature.

I just can help for what I wrote above. Otherwise, I'll try come out for the full solution later.

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    What did you use to look up u2? The only thing we know about it is that its quality is one (it is a saturated vapor).

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4
    can you PM me your e-mail address? I'll send to you slides for your reference. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook