Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics: Unsteady Flow (Charging) Process

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    Please see the attached photo.

I am not sure how to proceed. I do not know Mi or M2, nor do I have enough information to determine the temperature at point two (when the valve is closed). Any help getting me going along will be much appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2
    Hi afpskierx,

Have you find the [itex]u_2[/itex] by doing interpolation? I got the answer for [itex]u_2[/itex] = 3047.35 kJ/kg

At state 1, I don't quite understand with the question which stated that that mass of saturated mixture of water is 12kg.

So, I assume the quality, x = mass of vapour / total mass. You will get 7.2kg for your mass of vapour.

At state 2 (which is the [itex]P_2[/itex] = 400kPa and [itex]T_2[/itex] = 450 C) I assume it SUPERHEATED VAPOUR seems the [itex]T_2[/itex] larger than saturated temperature.

I just can help for what I wrote above. Otherwise, I'll try come out for the full solution later.

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    What did you use to look up u2? The only thing we know about it is that its quality is one (it is a saturated vapor).

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4
    can you PM me your e-mail address? I'll send to you slides for your reference. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook