Thevenin with Variables: Finding Thev Eq for Nodes A and B and C and D

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Thevenin equivalent for a circuit between nodes A and B, and between nodes C and D. The equations used for this analysis include KVL, KCL, and Voc=Isc*Rth. The attempt at a solution involves using the image provided, as well as referencing a document on Thevenin and Norton's theorem for further guidance.
sisyphus0321

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown: Find the Thev Eq between nodes A and B and then for nodes C and D.
I worked the second half of the equation but am stuck on how to begin the analysis for the opposite end of the circuit. I have attatched the image as well as posting it as I am having some issues with this terminal.

Homework Equations

Voc=Isc*Rth
KVL
KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

http://http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/sisyphus0321/untitled.jpg?t=1238023439
Between C and D:
ix+Bix=Voc/Ro
Voc=Ro[ix+Bix]
Isc= ix + Bix
Rth=Ro

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 377
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you make the image bigger? It's too small to be readable and gets too blurry if zoomed.

Sorry.

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    255.1 KB · Views: 401
I believe http://www.scribd.com/doc/454419/Class-3-Thevenins-and-Nortons-Theorem is of use in this problem. If you still have problems, I'll try to clarify things.

And the picture is readable now, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Thevenin's theorem with variables?

Thevenin's theorem with variables is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into a simpler equivalent circuit. It involves finding the Thevenin equivalent (Thev Eq) for a specific set of nodes, which can then be used to analyze the circuit's behavior.

2. How is Thev Eq calculated for nodes A and B?

The Thev Eq for nodes A and B can be calculated by removing all components connected to those nodes and determining the voltage and resistance between them. The voltage is equal to V_AB, which is the voltage between nodes A and B with all components removed, and the resistance is equal to R_AB, which is the equivalent resistance of the circuit between nodes A and B with all independent sources set to 0.

3. What about finding Thev Eq for nodes C and D?

The process for finding Thev Eq for nodes C and D is similar to that of nodes A and B. All components connected to these nodes are removed, and the voltage and resistance between them are calculated. The voltage is equal to V_CD, and the resistance is equal to R_CD.

4. Can Thev Eq be used to analyze any circuit?

No, Thev Eq can only be used for linear circuits with independent sources. Non-linear circuits or circuits with dependent sources cannot be analyzed using Thev Eq.

5. How is Thev Eq used in circuit analysis?

Thev Eq is used to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. By replacing a complicated circuit with a simpler equivalent circuit, it becomes easier to calculate voltage, current, power, and other parameters. Thev Eq can also be used to find the maximum power transfer theorem and determine the load resistance for maximum power transfer.