Thin lens equation and image formation

In summary: No, the equation would still be correct even if the displacement is negative. It would just be calculated from the opposite side of the lens.
castrodisastro

Homework Statement

An object 4.29 cm high is projected onto a screen using a converging lens with a focal length of 32 cm. The image on the screen is 51.7 cm. Where are the lens and the object located relative to the screen?

ho=4.29 cm
hi=51.7 cm
ƒ=32 cm

Homework Equations

1. m=(hi)/(ho)

2. m=ƒ/(ƒ-do)

3. m=-di/do

The Attempt at a Solution

I used equation number 1 to calculate the magnification since I was given the heights of the image and the object. I got 12.0513.

m=(51.7cm)/(4.29cm)=12.0513

Next, I used equation 2 to solve for do. I got 29.345 cm

m=ƒ/(ƒ-do)

(ƒ-do)=ƒ/m

ƒ-ƒ/m=do

32cm-(32cm/12.0513)=do=29.345 cm

Since do is measured as the distance from the surface of the lens/mirror, the object is at a distance of 29.345 cm relative to the lens.

Now that I have values for do and m, I can use another version of the magnification equation to solve for di. I got -353.645 cm

m=-(di/do)

-mdo=di

-(12.0513)(29.345cm)=di=-353.645 cm ←which would be relative to the lens, on the opposite side.

The question asks first for the distance between the lens and the screen that formed the image. Here is where I am not sure if I am thinking about it correctly.

An image would have a height of hi at a distance di from the lens. Since the di I calculated was -353.645 cm, the image was 353.645 cm away from the lens on the right side(taking the left side as the location of the object).

So the lens is 353.645 cm from the screen

The next question asks for the distance of the object from the screen. That would be the length of the distance between the screen and the lens (353.645 cm), plus the length of distance from the lens to the object (29.345 cm).

So the object is 382.99 cm from the screen.

However they are both wrong. The biggest problem with these problems are that mistakes are typically due to incorrect usage of sign conventions, or from misinterpreting the question asked. Right away I see that 382.99 cm is a pretty big number compared to the other values for image height, object height, focal length, etc. Maybe I just haven't done enough problems to judge whether that is average or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I know the answers are wrong because the homework they are on require me to type in the answer in a blank field which I then "submit" by pressing a "Check my work" button. I get 3 attempts for this question, this is my first attempt and it was wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about significant figures? I would consider wrong anything but 350 cm from the screen for the first and 380 from the screen for the second.
I would not assume that 32 cm is an exact value, therefore, as you used it in a division, you should know that there are only 2 significant figures in the answer.
This may not be the cause of the wrong answer, however.
Overall, your solution seems correct to me.

I always forget to account for sig. fig's in the final answer. I tried using 3 sig. fig's (354 cm and 383 cm) as well as only 2 sig. fig's (350 cm and 380 cm) but they were both still wrong. Although I get 3 attempts, I can refresh the page and have a few more attempts, so I was able to check these whilst not wasting any of my attempts.

Are you sure you got correct data?
I mean,
ho=4.29 cm
hi=51.7 cm
ƒ=32 cm
for sure?

mafagafo said:
Are you sure you got correct data?
I mean,
ho=4.29 cm
hi=51.7 cm
ƒ=32 cm
for sure?
Yes.
If you have got a negative answer for the displacement of the image,then it's a virtual image which means that it can't be projected onto a screen.

I am sure that those values are my given values.

So if I got a negative value for the displacement of the image, does that mean that when using the equation

m=-di/do

should do be taken as negative? to give a positive value for di?

I don't see how that will change my answer though. Even if the displacement is negative, when calculating images from a converging mirror or lens, it is common to use the concave side (the side with the radius of curvature and focal point) as the positive side, and the opposite side of the lens as negative, so if the image is visible on the opposite side of the lens (because light gets through) wouldn't it cross over to what I have labeled as the negative side of the coordinate axis (if I had set the origin at the center of the lens itself(with negligible thickness))?

I hope I'm not just confusing myself, or others.

castrodisastro said:
I am sure that those values are my given values.

So if I got a negative value for the displacement of the image, does that mean that when using the equation

m=-di/do

I don't see how that will change my answer though. Even if the displacement is negative, when calculating images from a converging mirror or lens, it is common to use the concave side (the side with the radius of curvature and focal point) as the positive side, and the opposite side of the lens as negative, so if the image is visible on the opposite side of the lens (because light gets through) wouldn't it cross over to what I have labeled as the negative side of the coordinate axis (if I had set the origin at the center of the lens itself(with negligible thickness))?

I hope I'm not just confusing myself, or others.
I think I have confused you by saying that.Sorry.
But think about this:The focal length of the lens is 32 cm.The distance from the object to the mirror is 29.345 cm. That means the image should be virtual.

adjacent said:
Yes.

What do you mean?

If there is a projection, I am right to assume that hi should be < 0 or ho < 0 and hi > 0, right?

castrodisastro said:

No. As I remember, when dealing with lenses, do should ALWAYS be positive as it does not make sense to talk about virtual objects.
If hi < 0, then m (or A) is < 0 and both p (do) and p' (or di) can be positive.
In lenses, if I am not mistaken, if the object is in one side and the image on the other, both d (or p) values should be > 0. I may be mistaken.

adjacent said:
I think I have confused you by saying that.Sorry.
But think about this:The focal length of the lens is 32 cm.The distance from the object to the mirror is 29.345 cm. That means the image should be virtual.

If hi is < 0, do becomes > 32 cm, that is why I am inclined to say that the provided data is sloppy.

I understand (after drawing diagrams) where the image(whether virtual or real, inverted or upright) should appear for mirrors, and I am only slightly less confident of the position for lenses.

In a problem that superimposes/asks me to superimpose a coordinate system, then I would have to make sure and keep track of the sides which the image forms. In this problem, however, I am just asked for the distance from an object(screen) that is the farthest thing on one side, so I can take the magnitudes of the distance and ignore the sign conventions...right?

and the question was copied and pasted from the online homework, so the question stated is typed verbatim.

castrodisastro said:
I am just asked for the distance from an object

Yeah, only the magnitude.
As it does not make sense to me to talk about virtual objects, it does not make sense to talk about negative distances.

What I am inclined to think is that the problem itself may be wrong. Not your typing.
I would try to do it with 2 significant figures and using hi = - 51.7 cm.

Likes 1 person
mafagafo said:
Yeah, only the magnitude.
As it does not make sense to me to talk about virtual objects, it does not make sense to talk about negative distances.

What I am inclined to think is that the problem itself may be wrong. Not your typing.
I would try to do it with 2 significant figures and using hi = - 51.7 cm.

mafagafo with the save!

Yeap, that gave me the correct answers of

do=34.6553 cm

di=417.644 cm

So the distance of the lens from the screen is ≈ 418 cm

and the distance of the object is 417.644 cm + 34.6553 cm ≈ 452 cm

Thanks!

castrodisastro said:
mafagafo with the save!
Glad for it.

castrodisastro said:
So the distance of the lens from the screen is ≈ 418 cm
and the distance of the object is 417.644 cm + 34.6553 cm ≈ 452 cm
Two problems here.
No need for "≈" when you are eliminating non-significant figures.
I suggested you to use 2. Maybe 3 will be accepted by the web script, I, however, would not give 100% if there were 3 significant figures.

castrodisastro said:
Thanks!
You are the most welcome.

mafagafo said:
Two problems here.
No need for "≈" when you are eliminating non-significant figures.
I suggested you to use 2. Maybe 3 will be accepted by the web script, I, however, would not give 100% if there were 3 significant figures.

I should not have used the approximation symbol, that was my mistake in expressing the values.

I do need to do a better job of using significant figures correctly. Thanks for mentioning it.

1. What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical formula that relates the distance of an object from a thin lens, the distance of the image from the lens, and the focal length of the lens. It is represented as 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens.

2. How is the image formed by a thin lens?

The image formed by a thin lens is created through the process of refraction. When light passes through a thin lens, it bends and converges at a point called the focal point. The image is formed at this point, either in front of or behind the lens, depending on the location of the object.

3. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, and can be projected onto a screen. A virtual image is formed when the light rays appear to be coming from a point, but do not actually converge. Virtual images cannot be projected onto a screen and are only visible through the lens.

4. How does the distance of the object from the lens affect the image formed?

The distance of the object from the thin lens affects the size and location of the image formed. If the object is moved closer to the lens, the image will be larger and located further away. If the object is moved further away from the lens, the image will be smaller and closer to the lens.

5. What happens to the image when the focal length of the lens changes?

When the focal length of the lens changes, the location and size of the image also change. A longer focal length will result in a smaller image, while a shorter focal length will result in a larger image. The distance between the lens and the image will also change accordingly.