Thin Load Cells for Small Weigh Scale Project

In summary, the conversation is about building a small weigh scale with a maximum weight of 40lbs and a load cell thickness of 5mm or less. The person is looking for recommendations for thin load cells and mentions finding options from Omega and Chinese manufacturers. They also mention being willing to share their circuit once they start building. JBA suggests looking at the XFL212R load cell.
Ava
Hi,
I'm doing a project and an looking at building a small weigh scale and measure about 40lbs max (even lesser is ok as I'm learning). I'm looking for load cell thickness of 5mm or less (:smile:). I've one kitchen scale that I opened but that load cell is bigger.
I looked at the web and found LCL load cell by Omega (http://www.omega.com/pptst/LCL.html) and few by Chinese manufacturers (like this one here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/30kg-150kg-300kg-planar-bean-load-cell-for-low-platform-scale-low-thin-scale-weight-sensor/32474908124.html [Broken]). I'm wondering if there are known thin load cells and am I missing any of them? Please let me know, really appreciate all suggestions and help!
I would be happy to post my circuit once I start building :smile:

Cheers,
Ava

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at this one: http://www.meas-spec.com/downloads/XFL212R.pdf

Thanks JBA!

1. What is a thin load cell?

A thin load cell is a type of sensor that is used to measure weight or force. It is designed to be thin and compact, making it ideal for use in small weigh scale projects.

2. How do thin load cells work?

Thin load cells work by converting mechanical force or pressure into an electrical signal. This signal is then processed and displayed as a weight measurement on the scale.

3. What are the advantages of using thin load cells in small weigh scale projects?

One of the main advantages of using thin load cells in small weigh scale projects is their compact size. They take up less space and can be easily integrated into the design of the scale. They also offer high precision and accuracy in weight measurements.

4. What are the different types of thin load cells available?

There are several types of thin load cells available, including strain gauge load cells, piezoelectric load cells, and capacitive load cells. Each type has its own unique design and method of operation, but all are suitable for small weigh scale projects.

5. Can thin load cells be used for other applications besides weighing?

Yes, thin load cells can be used for a variety of applications, including force measurement, tension measurement, and torque measurement. They are versatile sensors that can be adapted for different types of projects.