Three-charge Electric Field Triangle.

In summary: The 30mN is just not accurate enough.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the force exerted on a charge 'q' by two other charges, 'A' and 'B'. The solution involves calculating the individual forces and then using trigonometry to determine the x and y components of the force. The conversation also mentions the strict requirements of the Cengage system for inputting answers.
physphun531

Homework Statement

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7473/56823155cm1.th.jpg
Lets all the top positive 6 microC charge, 'A', and the bottom right negative -4.2 charge 'B'.

Homework Equations

E = F / q

F= Ke q1q2
--------
r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the Force exerted on charge 'q' by 'A' and came up with 0.153 N and then used the cosine of 60 to obtain -0.77 as the x-component force and the sin of 60 to obtain -0.133 as the y-component force. Then I calculated the force exterted by 'B', the negative charge and obtained 0.107 in the 'i' direction giving me a sum force of 0.03 in the x direction. This SHOULD have given me part B, except two reasons why it was wrong. One, the units there say mN, but that did not work either, Two, I have done something conceptually wrong and cannot see it.
As for part A, I was going to use the above in E = F / q, but I first need the above part correct and even then I am not sure which charge is q.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Picture is up.

If anyone can see where I have gone astray can you help me out please?

Last edited:
Hi physphun531,

physphun531 said:

Homework Statement

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7473/56823155cm1.th.jpg
Lets all the top positive 6 microC charge, 'A', and the bottom right negative -4.2 charge 'B'.

Homework Equations

E = F / q

F= Ke q1q2
--------
r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the Force exerted on charge 'q' by 'A' and came up with 0.153 N and then used the cosine of 60 to obtain -0.77 as the x-component force and the sin of 60 to obtain -0.133 as the y-component force. Then I calculated the force exterted by 'B', the negative charge and obtained 0.107 in the 'i' direction giving me a sum force of 0.03 in the x direction.

How did you get this number for the force in the x direction? It seems rather small to me (and in the wrong direction).

I used the 0.153 N force calculated and multiplied it by (0.45/0.9) for 'A' and then just combined with 'B'. They did it the same way in my textbook.

physphun531 said:
I used the 0.153 N force calculated and multiplied it by (0.45/0.9) for 'A' and then just combined with 'B'. They did it the same way in my textbook.

That's right; I was lead astray by a typo in your post (you said the x component of the first vector was -0.77, but it should be -0.077). I should have noticed that was a typo.

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly your procedure looks right to me. Are you keeping enough digits in your answer? The error in using 30mN (for example) instead of the more accurate answer seems to be almost 2 percent. Do you know how close you have to be?

physphun531 said:
http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7827/75926219lv4.th.jpg

Updated. You have to pretty darn close. Cengage is picky. one one problem I was slightly over 1% off and it didn't take my answer.

Does that mean it is saying the 30.7mN is incorrect? If so, try not rounding anything until the very end. On some other systems I have also heard instructions to input at least four or five digits in your answer (I think it was four) so that might make a difference.

Related to Three-charge Electric Field Triangle.

1. What is a Three-charge Electric Field Triangle?

A Three-charge Electric Field Triangle is a geometric representation of the electric field created by three point charges. It shows the direction and strength of the electric field at any point in space.

2. How is a Three-charge Electric Field Triangle constructed?

The triangle is constructed by connecting the three charges with lines and drawing arrows to represent the direction of the electric field. The length of the arrows is proportional to the strength of the electric field at that point.

3. What does the Three-charge Electric Field Triangle tell us about the electric field?

The triangle shows the direction and strength of the electric field at any point in space. It also shows how the electric field vectors from each charge combine to create a net electric field at that point.

4. What factors influence the shape of the Three-charge Electric Field Triangle?

The shape of the triangle is influenced by the magnitude and location of the charges, as well as the distance between them. The angle between the charges also plays a role in determining the shape of the triangle.

5. How can the Three-charge Electric Field Triangle be used in practical applications?

The triangle can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of electric fields in various scenarios, such as in electronic circuits or in determining the electric field strength at a specific point. It can also aid in visualizing and understanding the concept of electric fields in general.