1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three-Force Member

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    The prof told us to treat the three-force member as an equilibrium of particle question. So here is the FBD and the triangle I set up for the particle equilibrium:
    [​IMG]

I don't know where to go from there.. I mean I know it's a right angle triangle, where I know the hypotenuse, but that's really it. Help? :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your first FBD is good. It is usually best to break up the known (3kN) and unknown (A and B) forces into their x and y components. Then just use the 3 equilibrium equations (sum of x forces =0, sum of y forces = 0, and sum of moments about any point = 0) which will give you the required 3 equatiions to solve for the 3 unknowns A, B, and alpha.

4. Oct 31, 2008 #3
    Thanks Jay. I know how to do it with the equilibrium equations actually. But I'm having problems doing it using the three-force member theory...

5. Oct 31, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?