Three rescuers pulling horizontally on a safety net to keep it taut

• Thread starter Sneakatone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Net Safety
In summary, the rescuers are trying to keep a safety net taut by pulling in different directions. Northward with 295N of force, southward with 250N of force, and eastward with 37 degrees of force. If the net is not stationary, the third rescuer must pull in a direction 31 degrees south of east with a force of 128N to keep it in equilibrium.
Sneakatone
Three rescuers are pulling horizontally on a safety net to keep it taut. One pulls northward with a force of 295n; the second pulls in a direction 31 degrees south of west wit ha force of 250N. In which direction and with what force must the third pull to keep the net stationary?

I don't know how to solve for the force but I have an angle of 37 degrees.
I tried to use http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100208080145AAFCZ4V
as a model but I do not know where they get the numbers like -120 N and -150 N.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-02-21 at 3.39.45 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2013-02-21 at 3.39.45 PM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org

37 degrees which way from what compass direction? Pls post your working.
In the example, they take the given forces, as vectors, and resolve them into components in the NS and EW directions. Do you know how to do that?

37 degrees south of east. there wasn't really a real strategy to it I just added 6 to 31 to get 37.

Sneakatone said:
37 degrees south of east. there wasn't really a real strategy to it I just added 6 to 31 to get 37.
I won't ask where the 6 came from.
Do you know how to resolve forces into orthogonal components, and use those in statics equations?

I do not

Sneakatone said:
I do not
Then I don't understand how you are expected to solve a question like this. Have you not been taught anything related?
OK, so given a force F magnitude F at angle θ north of east (I choose that reference because anticlockwise from the positive x-axis is a standard way of specifying directions in maths), you can 'resolve' it into two forces. There are any number of choices for the directions in which to resolve it, but standard would be N and E. The component in the E direction has magnitude F cos θ, and that due n has magnitude F sin θ.
If everything is in equilibrium (i.e. no acceleration), the sum of components of forces in the EW direction is 0. Similarly in the NS direction.
So:
- create unknowns for the magnitude and direction for the third force
- resolve each of the three forces into NS and EW components
- write out the statics equation for each of NS, EW

Last edited:

this is how I see it, its probably not right

Attachments

• py3.png
    py3.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 420

would equations like t=w/sin(theta) be relavent?

I tried using angle ratios like (31/37)295 with all the combinations but I don't know if that s right either.

Sneakatone said:
this is how I see it, its probably not right

In the drawing, you've written 25N instead of 250N for the second force.
You don't make it clear which angle is 31 degrees. You've no basis for marking any angle as being 37 degrees.
This is how you resolve a force (or one way, at least):
- find the angle, θ, the force makes to due East, measured anticlockwise. For a force due N, that's 90 degrees, due W 180 degrees, etc. Depending onwhat you use to calculate sines and cosines, you may need to convert to radians.
- if the force has magnitude F, it resolves into F*cos(θ) due E and F*sin(θ) due N. Be careful with signs here.
When you've done that:
- add up all the due N components for a due N result to get RN, say.
- add up all the due E components for a due E result to get RE, say.
- the magnitude of the resultant force is √(RN2+RE2); its direction is atan(RN/RE). You may need to convert the angle back from radians to degrees. Taking an arctan cannot distinguish directions that differ by 180 degrees, so you'll need to think about which of the two answers it is.

for RN I did 250cos(31) and had 214 but how do you get RE without and angle?

Sneakatone said:
for RN I did 250cos(31) and had 214 but how do you get RE without and angle?
I used "RN" to refer to the total for the N components of all three forces.
For the 250N force, the direction is 31 degrees S of W. What angle is that measuring anticlockwise from due E?
I said to take the sine of the angle for the N component, the cosine for the E component.
So what are the N and E components of the 250N force?

the angle going E would 37 or unknown.

the components for 250, N=295 N , E=unknown

295sin(90)=295
250sin(31)=128

Sneakatone said:
295sin(90)=295
That's the N component of the 295. What's the E component?
250sin(31)=128
I said to measure all angles anticlockwise from due E. The 31 degrees is given as S of W. What is that anticlockwise from E?
Again, you need two components from it, the cosine for the E component and the sine for the N component.

250cos(31)=214.29

Sneakatone said:
250cos(31)=214.29
That is undeniably true, but which question is it answering?

It is answering the E component.

It will help speed things up if you answer each question in sequence. Try at least the first two now, and we can progress to the others later. But please do not skip any.
1. What is the direction of the 250N force, measured as an angle anticlockwise from due E?
2. What, therefore, is the Eastward component of the 250N force? Be careful with the sign.
2. What is the E component of the 295N force?
3. What is the sum of the E components?
4. What is the E component of the force the third rescuer needs to provide?

5. What is the N component of the 250N force?
6. What is the N component of the 295N force?
7. What is the sum of the N components?
8. What is the N component of the force the third rescuer needs to provide?

9. What is the magnitude of the force the third rescuer needs to provide?
10. What is the direction, as an angle anticlockwise from due E, of the force the third rescuer needs to provide? You'll need to be careful with this one.

1. south east
2. component meaning 31 degrees?

Sneakatone said:
1. south east
2. component meaning 31 degrees?
"south east" is not an angle. The answer is some number of degrees, and it's not 31. The force is at an angle 31 degrees anticlockwise from W, so how many degrees is it anticlockwise from E?
A component of a force is a force, not an angle. If a force has magnitude F and acts at an angle θ anticlockwise from E then it has a component force magnitude F cos θ due E and a component F sin θ due N.
Given that, please try those two again.

would it be 149 degrees going east?

Sneakatone said:
would it be 149 degrees going east?
No. Have you drawn yourself a picture? With E to the right and W to the left, 31 degrees S of W will be down and to the left, yes?, 31 degrees 'below' due W. So, starting due E and running around anticlockwise, how many degrees do you go through to reach 31 degrees S of W?

1. What is the purpose of having three rescuers pull horizontally on a safety net?

The purpose of having three rescuers pull horizontally on a safety net is to keep the net taut and prevent it from sagging. This allows the net to effectively catch anyone who may fall or jump onto it.

2. How does the number of rescuers affect the tension in the safety net?

The number of rescuers pulling horizontally on the safety net affects the tension in the net. The more rescuers there are, the more evenly distributed the tension will be, making the net more taut and secure.

3. What happens if the rescuers do not pull evenly on the safety net?

If the rescuers do not pull evenly on the safety net, it can cause the net to become unbalanced and create weak spots. This can compromise the effectiveness of the net in catching someone who may fall or jump onto it.

4. Can the safety net still be effective with only two rescuers pulling?

While it is ideal to have three rescuers pulling horizontally on the safety net, two rescuers can still make the net taut and effective. However, it may not be as secure as having three rescuers, so caution should still be taken.

5. What is the recommended technique for pulling on the safety net?

The recommended technique for pulling on the safety net is for each rescuer to stand at a corner of the net and pull horizontally with equal force. This helps distribute the tension evenly and keeps the net taut.