TI-83/84 sets of numbers/set theory

In summary, the calculator has some limitations in pattern recognition and memory, but if you want to use a neural network to solve problems, the task is relatively easy.
moonman239
Here's what I want to do on the calculator.

1) Input sets of numbers, for example 3,6,9... in any notation, for example {3,6,9,infinity} or {x|x/3 >= 1 >= infinity}

2) use set theory (not now, but when I get into pre-cal/college.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmm, making a program to parse set theoretical operations could be a rather daunting task. It would be useful, but also keep in mind that this series of graphing calculators has some notable limitations including the small quantity of RAM (and memory in general). Still, to take on the task, you will first need to figure out which language will be best for the task. Your options are (mainly) TI-BASIC, Assembly, or Axe. TI-BASIC might be the easiest to implement, but is by no means an efficient language. Axe and Assembly, however, are probably not a good option for anybody not already knowledgeable of the z80.

Your first hurdle will be the symbols. While there is the ASCII character for |, you will need to use some assembly program to access the character. For example, Xtra is a good program for accessing these miscellaneous characters. Next, the infinity symbol is not even in the ASCII set for the small or large fonts. This will be very challenging and may require you to create your own font or user interface altogether. There are several other tools that will allow you to do this, but the program will start to get cumbersome and large.

Your next hurdle will be in pattern recognition. If we feed the list {1,3,9,27,...} to the parser, we will want it to figure out the pattern, especially if we wanted to pass something like "{1,3,9,27,...} or {1,9,81,729,...}" using set OR logic. The coolest problem is that literally any number can follow that ellipses. I have written programs and algorithms to generate general formulas with infinitely many solutions, so the proof is available. The biggest problem, though, is that pattern recognition is best suited for artificial neural networks (ANNs) or parallel processing. While we could emulate simple ANNs, it would be excruciatingly slow and the memory requirements could start to turn massive. Remember, a floppy disc has 1.44 MB of memory which is about 58 times as much as the calculator's RAM, without programs or anything else installed. We would have to force user input for parsing anything but the simplest patterns to take advantage of our neural network (brains).

Then the rest is easy. Just define the rules for set logic (simple enough) and you have a program!

1. What is a set in TI-83/84 and how is it different from a list?

A set in TI-83/84 is a collection of distinct elements with no specific order. It is different from a list in that a set does not allow for duplicate elements and does not maintain any specific order.

2. How do I enter a set in TI-83/84?

To enter a set in TI-83/84, press the "2nd" key followed by the "SET" key. Then use the arrow keys to navigate to the "SET" menu. From there, use the "ENTER" key to select the "SET" option and enter the elements of the set separated by commas. Press "ENTER" again to close the set.

3. Can I perform operations on sets in TI-83/84?

Yes, TI-83/84 allows you to perform various operations on sets, such as union, intersection, and complement. These operations can be found in the "MATH" menu under the "SET" submenu.

4. How do I graph a set in TI-83/84?

To graph a set in TI-83/84, go to the "STAT PLOT" menu by pressing "2nd" followed by "Y=". Then select an empty plot and press "ENTER". Under the "TYPE" option, choose "SET" and enter the elements of the set. Press "GRAPH" to see the graph of the set.

5. Can I create subsets of a set in TI-83/84?

Yes, TI-83/84 allows you to create subsets of a set using the "MATH" menu. Press "2nd" followed by "MATH" and navigate to the "SET" submenu. Select the "SUBSET" option and enter the elements of the parent set, followed by the elements of the subset separated by commas. Press "ENTER" to create the subset.