1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Titration concentration calculation problem, NaOH and HCl/HOAc mixture, help please

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    Hi, I'm in lab in which we have to titrate 0.09M NaOH into 25mL of 0.1M HCl/HOAc mixture.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need help on how to calculate the concentration of HCl and HOAc in the mixture.

0.09M NaOH
    1st equivalence point = 14.3mL
    2nd equivalence point = 26.9mL

Difference of two equivalence points, 14.3-26.9= 12.6mL

2. Relevant equations
    I'm thinking to solve this problem I would have to use the dilution formula, M1V1=M2V2

3. The attempt at a solution

M (0.025L) = (0.09M)(0.0143L)
    M = 0.05148M HCl

M (0.025L) = (0.09M)(0.0126L)
    M = 0.04536M HOAc

Is this correct or am I completely off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Titration concentration calculation problem, NaOH and HCl/HOAc mixture, help plea

To give a simplified explanation:
    The weak acid will be picked at titrant addition to about pH of 4 to 4.5, and both the weak and strong acid will be neutralized at about pH 8 to 9. Your first equivalence point will give you moles of HOAc; your second equivalence point will give you moles of both HOAc and HCl combined. The difference will be for the moles of HCl alone.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Titration concentration calculation problem, NaOH and HCl/HOAc mixture, help plea

Since when titration is identical to dilution?

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

Formula you listed happens to be identical to the one needed in SOME cases. The longer you will believe it works always, the worse for you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook