What is the percent purity of the calcium hydroxide in this titration problem?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, in order to determine the percent purity of calcium hydroxide in a given sample, a 0.2600-g sample of impure Ca(OH)2 was dissolved in enough water to make 45.70 mL of solution. 20.00 mL of the resulting solution was then titrated with 0.2455-M HCl, requiring 9.88 mL of the acid to reach the endpoint. By using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and the concept of equivalents, the number of moles of Ca(OH)2 in the sample was calculated to be 5.54meq. This corresponds to a mass of 0.205 g Ca(OH)2 in the 0.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A 0.2600-g sample of impure Ca(OH)2 is dissolved in enough water to make 45.70 mL of solution. 20.00 mL of the resulting solution is then titrated with 0.2455-M HCl. What is the percent purity of the calcium hydroxide if the titration requires 9.88 mL of the acid to reach the endpoint?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) determine the number of mmol of HCl

20.00 mL*(.2455 mmol/1 mL) = 4.91 mmol

2) Convert mmol HCl to OH^1- using the notion that H^+ + OH^1- => H2O

4.9 mmol H^+ *(1mmol OH^1-/1 mmol H^1+) = 4.9 mmol OH^1-

3) Convert the mmol of OH^1- in 45.70 mL of the solution of Ca(OH)2

4.9 mmol OH^1- * (1mmol Ca(OH)2/1mmol (OH)^1-) *(74.1 mg Ca(OH)2/1mmol Ca(OH)2) = 363.09 mg Ca(OH)2

4.) I used the amount of Ca(OH)2 in 9.88 mL of solution of mass of Ca(OH)2

363.09 mg Ca(OH)2 * ((1000 mL/9.88 mL)) = 36750 mg = 36.75 g Ca(OH)2

5.) Use the mass of Ca(OH)2 and mass of pellets to now determine percent purity

36.75 g Ca(OH)2 /.2600 * 100 = 14134.61538 %

Shouldn't the percent purity be smaller than 100 %

Physics news on Phys.org
i don't know much of titration but i do know an equation that may help you.
to solve for a Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
pH=pKa+log(base/acid) (fraction)
maybe you can go study a little more on the subject. it will also help if you show us your own attempts to the questions.
(visit my blog!)

Last edited:
kaisxuans said:
i don't know much of titration but i do know an equation that may help you.
to solve for a Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
pH=pKa+log(base/acid) (fraction)
maybe you can go study a little more on the subject. it will also help if you show us your own attempts to the questions.
(visit my blog!)

those were my own attempts. There was a similar problem like the one in my homework in my textbook , and so I used their explanations of the steps of the problems because I thought it would make it more clear to the chemistry tutors

We have started on the Henderson -Hasselbalch equation yet.

Oh i see
im really very sorry but i cannot help you in any other way. if you see my blog or profile you will know what i am...so i can't help you
SORRY
oh and you wrote wrong it is HAVENT

Last edited:
kaisxuans said:
Oh i see
im really very sorry but i cannot help you in any other way. if you see my blog or profile you will know what i am...so i can't help you
SORRY

its okay . I appreciate you voluntary to help me .

Use molarity equation m1v1=m2v2.First find molarity of Ca(OH)2 .You'll get the vol. of HCL used this way.

Hope i am correct.

I am not sure about the above one but if u convert molarity into normality then using the concept that the no.of equivalents(of any compound) in any reaction remains the same you can get the answer.

Molarity won't work since this is titration reaction.So here is my solution as it is tough to explain.If u have any problem in understanding please post.

Ca(OH)2 +2HCl -> CaCl2 + 2H20

Valence factor of Ca(OH)2 = 2

Valence factor of HCl = 1

Normality of HCl = 0.2455 = 0.2455N

Equivalents of HCl in 9.88ml = 0.2455 * 9.88 = 2.42554meq

This implies eq in 20ml impure Ca(OH)2 solution = 2.42554meq
Equivalents in 45.7ml = 5.54meq

This implies pure Ca(OH)2 in 0.26g sample has 5.54meq

Mass of 5.54meq = 5.54/1000 * Eq weight of Ca(OH)2 = 0.205g

Percent Purity= Pure/Impure *100

I guess you can work that out :D

Start at the beginning... write out the titration reaction.

Benzoate said:
4.9 mmol OH^1- * (1mmol Ca(OH)2/1mmol (OH)^1-) *(74.1 mg Ca(OH)2/1mmol Ca(OH)2) = 363.09 mg Ca(OH)2

1mmol/1mmol?

363.09 mg Ca(OH)2 * ((1000 mL/9.88 mL)) = 36750 mg = 36.75 g Ca(OH)2

Why 1000 mL? What was your Ca(OH)2 solution volume?

as chemisttree said you should be writing the equation first. you will then be able to determine how many moles of acid reacts with how many moles of alkali/base.

then calculate the number of moles of acid which reacted. use a simple proportion to find out the number of moles of alkali which reacted.(use the equation for that)

this amount of alkali will be present in 20 mL of solution. but you made 45.7 mL solution. you should be calculating the number of moles of the alkali in this volume, using simple proportion.

now convert this amount in mole to mass in grams.

from the 0.2600 g of solid, only the above calculated mass of Ca(OH)2 is present.
do your % purity and you're home and dry!

simple proportion is most often easiest way to solve titration problems... formulas tend to be too confusing and you can easily make mistakes...

Related to What is the percent purity of the calcium hydroxide in this titration problem?

1. What is a titration problem?

A titration problem is a type of chemistry problem where the concentration of a solution is determined by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. This technique is used to find the precise point at which a chemical reaction reaches completion, allowing for accurate measurement of the concentration of a particular substance.

2. How do you perform a titration?

To perform a titration, a known volume of the solution with an unknown concentration (the analyte) is slowly added to a known volume of a solution with a known concentration (the titrant) until the reaction reaches its end point. The volume of titrant used can then be used to calculate the concentration of the analyte.

3. What is the purpose of a titration?

The purpose of a titration is to determine the concentration of a solution or a particular substance within a solution. It is a common technique used in analytical chemistry to accurately measure the concentration of a substance.

4. What is an indicator and how is it used in titration?

An indicator is a substance that changes color at a specific point in a chemical reaction. In titration, an indicator is used to determine when the reaction has reached its end point and the titration is complete. Common indicators used in titration include phenolphthalein and methyl orange.

5. What are some common sources of error in a titration?

Some common sources of error in titration include inaccurate measurements of solutions or volumes, contamination of solutions, and human error in identifying the end point of the reaction. It is important to carefully prepare and measure solutions, as well as repeat the titration multiple times to ensure accuracy and reduce errors.