Is Studying Physics Worth It After Pursuing Other Careers?

• Other
  • Thread starter burgerusmc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker despised school in high school but after serving in the Marines and attending school for motorcycle mechanics, they discovered a love for studying and learning. They are now considering pursuing an Associate's degree in physics for the knowledge and teaching opportunities. However, it may be more fulfilling to go for a Bachelor's degree with additional courses in math, engineering, and computer science. Ultimately, the speaker wants to make sure that the investment in schooling is worth it.
burgerusmc
Ok, here goes I'll try to keep it semi short.
When I was in high school I despised school. I knew I wanted to be a Marine so all I did was the bare minimum to pass. Did 6 years in the Marines, got out. I then went to school for motorcycle mechanics and realized that, now as an adult, I love to study and learn! The mechanic thing did not work out so I am currently going back to school for Computer Aided Draft and Design. I had to take a physics class as a pre-req. and I fell in love with it. It's mesmerizing. I am now debating about, once done with this degree, to go back to school yet again and at least peruse an Associate's in Physics. Not for a career, simply for the knowledge and teaching.

What do you guys think about that? Would it be worth it? After an Associate's would I even have enough schooling and knowledge to grasp some of those concepts that I can't currently understand? Etc, etc.
Sorry for the kong post but I look forward to the great help amd information!

Physics news on Phys.org
Semper fi.
burgerusmc said:
Not for a career, simply for the knowledge and teaching.
You seem to be motivated ... I say, "Go for it." You'll want to do a certain amount of "shopping" to find something that "fits."

Likes burgerusmc
A.A. in Physics, good for knowledge, not enough for being able to teach. You need more if you want to teach. Include as much Mathematics as you can handle and earn undergraduate degree in Physics, if you still want, and learn other courses to make yourself more practical (like engineering and computer science); and with at least an undergraduate degree, you may be qualified to teach in high schools or junior high schools.

Most of the curriculum for an associates degree is general study, so, only a couple courses will be on the topic of physics. If you want to dig in deep, a bachelors may be more fulfilling.

What an adorable little ball of chubby cuteness you have there! I miss those days. :frown:

Likes burgerusmc
Fervent Freyja said:
Most of the curriculum for an associates degree is general study, so, only a couple courses will be on the topic of physics. If you want to dig in deep, a bachelors may be more fulfilling.

What an adorable little ball of chubby cuteness you have there! I miss those days. :frown:
Thanks, he is rather cute!

Likes Fervent Freyja
Perhaps instead of saying for "knowledge and teaching" I should have said to be taught.
The school I currently attend had a physics program. All of my prerequisites from my C.A.D.D degree will "transfer" to the AA in physics. It would boil down to calculus 1&2 and differential equations for the math, and the physics classes.
I just want to make sure the juice is worth the squeeze, I guess. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars in schooling for basic (poor word choice) information easily read and understood. I'd like to make sure it's worth paying someone much smarter than I to teach me.

Unfortunately you will have quite a few times where you will wonder if the "juice is worth the squeeze" (by the way, I've never heard that phrase - love it). It's not all sitting in courses having interesting discussions about relativity or quantum mechanics and such... there will be a lot of frustrated late-night study sessions, and a lot of head-scratching homeworks. The only way to know if it's worth the squeeze is to try :)

Likes burgerusmc and Fervent Freyja

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand and explain the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of the universe, from the smallest particles to the largest structures.

2. Why is physics important?

Physics is important because it helps us to understand the world around us. It has practical applications in many fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. It also allows us to make predictions and solve complex problems, leading to advancements in various areas of human life.

3. Is physics difficult to learn?

While physics can be challenging, it is not impossible to learn. Like any other subject, it requires dedication, practice, and a solid understanding of the fundamentals. With the right approach and resources, anyone can grasp the basic concepts of physics.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include that it is only for geniuses, that it only deals with complex mathematical equations, and that it has no practical applications. In reality, anyone can learn and understand physics, it involves more than just math, and its applications are all around us.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics?

To improve your understanding of physics, it is important to have a strong grasp of the fundamentals, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of energy and motion. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, can also help improve your understanding of physics.