Direction of Magnetic Field in a Toroid with Clockwise Current Loop?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field inside a toroid when the current is going clockwise around the loop. The method involves imagining the loop on a table and using the right hand rule to find the field direction in the center of the loop or applying it directly to the current loop. The correct answer is either out of the table or into the table, depending on the direction of the current.
JasonBourneV
Inside the toroid, in which direction does the magnetic field point, if the current is going clockwise around the loop?

So I tried to consider the fields due to two points on opposite sides of the toroid. Then I got stuck becuase I don't know what direction their fields added up. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a right hand rule to determine the direction of the field.

I did, I got counterclockwise but that wasn't the answer.

JasonBourneV said:
I did, I got counterclockwise but that wasn't the answer.
Counterclockwise isn't correct.

Imagine the loop on the surface of a table (the x-y plane). If the current is going clockwise, use the right hand rule in either of two ways:
(1) use it to find the field around any segment of current (that will tell you the field direction in the center of the loop)
(2) apply it direction to the current loop

The answer must be out of the table or into the table.

Method one is described here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c1"

Last edited by a moderator:
oh... I think I into the table. The current is clockwise, so my fingers curl into the table. Is that right?

Last edited:

1. What is a toroid in physics?

A toroid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a doughnut or a bagel. In physics, it refers to a type of electromagnet that is shaped like a torus, with a loop of wire wrapped around a hollow core. It is commonly used in transformers, inductors, and other electronic devices.

2. How does a toroid work?

A toroid works by creating a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through the wire wrapped around its core. This magnetic field can then be used to induce a current in nearby conductors, making it useful for transforming and controlling electrical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a toroid in electronic devices?

There are several advantages to using a toroid in electronic devices. One is that its shape allows for a more compact design, as the wire can be tightly wound around the core. It also produces a stronger and more uniform magnetic field compared to other shapes, making it more efficient. Additionally, the toroid's shape helps to minimize electromagnetic interference.

4. How is the magnetic field of a toroid calculated?

The magnetic field of a toroid can be calculated using the equation B = μNI/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability constant, N is the number of turns in the wire, I is the current, and r is the radius of the toroid. This equation is based on Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field around a closed loop is proportional to the current passing through the loop.

5. Are there any real-world applications of toroid physics?

Yes, toroid physics has many real-world applications. As mentioned before, toroids are commonly used in transformers and inductors. They are also used in power supplies, electric motors, and generators. In addition, toroid magnets are used in particle accelerators and medical imaging devices, such as MRI machines.