1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque and Angular Momentum

1. Aug 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 22,500N elevator is to be accelerated upward by connecting to it a counterweight using a light cable passing over a solid uniform disk-shaped pulley. There is no appreciable friction at the axle of the pulley, but its mass is 875kg and it is 1.50 m in diameter. (a) How heavy should the counterweight be so that it will accelerate the elevator upward through 6.75 m in the first 3.00 s, starting from rest? (b) Under these conditions, what is the tension in the cable on each side of the pulley?

2. Relevant equations
    I=1/2*875*.75[tex]^{2}[/tex]=246.1 kg*m[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    a=(2*6.75)/(3[tex]^{2}[/tex])=1.5m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex] from x=(x[tex]_{i}[/tex])+(.5)(a)(t[tex]^{2}[/tex])
    [tex]alpha[/tex] = a/r = 2 rad/s^2 from a = R * [tex]alpha[/tex]
    [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=I*a

3. The attempt at a solution

So I get from this is that for the elevator to rise the 6.75 feet in 3.00 seconds the total torque must be 492.2 N*m.

T[tex]_{1}[/tex]=m[tex]_{elev}[/tex]*g-m[tex]_{elev}[/tex]*a
    T[tex]_{2}[/tex]=m[tex]_{counter}[/tex]*g+m[tex]_{counter}[/tex]*a

From this I get T[tex]_{1}[/tex] = 19056 N

[tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex] = T[tex]_{1}[/tex]*r-T[tex]_{2}[/tex]*r

So...

T[tex]_{2}[/tex] = 18400 N

So should be...
    m[tex]_{counter}[/tex] = 1628 kg * 9.8 = 1.6*10^4 N

Unfortunately, according to the book I am wrong on all three counts, the tensions and the mass. The answers are supposed to be 3.16*10^4 N mass counter, 2.60 * 10^4N Tension 1 and 2.67 * 10^4N for Tension 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The directions for your forces are wrong I think... the elevator is accelerating upward, so what's the sum of the forces in the vertical direction for the elevator?

Remember that a is upward for the elevator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?