Torque and Tension of two weights

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving torque and tension in a uniform beam supported by a pin and cable. The question is how to properly set up the equation to solve for the tension in the cable. After some confusion with the components of tension, it is determined that the correct equation is [Weight of the bar X (length/2)] + [Weight1 X distance from weight] + [Weight2 X length] = [Tsin (theta) X length] + [Tcos (theta) X length]. However, the answer still seems to be incorrect, and further assistance is requested.
Enoch
Guys - I'm back again :rofl: . I hate to have so many questions, but I really appreaciate all the help you guys give me. For this problem, I am having some problems with the clockwise/counterclockwise Torque rule. Anyways, let me give you the problem and work.

Two weights attached to a uniform beam of mass 26 kg are supported in a horizontal position by a pin and cable as shown in the figure (I have placed the figure in the attachment doc. 1). The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is the tension in the cable which supports the beam? Answer in units of kN.

To solve this problem, I knew I had to apply the rule that clockwise torques are equal to counterclockwise torques.

Clockwise torques: Weight of the bar, Weight 1, and Weight 2.

Counterclockwise torques: Tension

Here is where my work gets shady :confused: . For the tensions, I broke the tension line up into components Ty and Tx. Ty = Tsin (theta). Tx = Tcos (theta). Do I take both of these for the counterclockwise torques in the equation? When I set the problem up, I only used the Ty value. Is this incorrect?

Anyways here is the final problem set up as I had it with only one of the Tension components:

[Weight of the bar X (length/2)] + [Weight1 X distance from weight] + [Weight2 X length] = Tsin (theta) X length

In numerical values: 26(5.6/2) + 32(3.1) + 37(5.6) = Tsin (39) X 5.6

Obviously this answer is wrong, but my question is...is the correct equation this:

[Weight of the bar X (length/2)] + [Weight1 X distance from weight] + [Weight2 X length] = [Tsin (theta) X length] + [Tcos (theta) X length]

In numerical values: 26(5.6/2) + 32(3.1) + 37(5.6) = [Tsin (39) X 5.6] + [Tcos (39) X 5.6]

OR is it something else entirely? Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 229
Physics news on Phys.org
the last equation should be, for the x-component of T, the distance is 0, not 5.6. Only y-component of T has the distance 5.6 . So u just cancel out x-component because it's direction goes through the point O.

bem said:
the last equation should be, for the x-component of T, the distance is 0, not 5.6. Only y-component of T has the distance 5.6 . So u just cancel out x-component because it's direction goes through the point O.

Would that not leave me with the exact same initial equation that I started off with? I used that equation and came up with the wrong answer. Either I made a careless mistake (likely), I'm not understanding you, or there is something else wrong with the problem.

bump...Still need help :grumpy:

1. What is torque and tension?

Torque and tension are two important concepts in physics that describe the rotational and pulling forces acting on an object, respectively.

2. How are torque and tension related?

Torque and tension are related in that they both involve the application of a force to an object. However, torque specifically refers to the rotational force applied to an object, while tension refers to the force pulling on an object in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate torque?

Torque can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What factors affect torque and tension?

The factors that affect torque and tension include the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the distance from the point of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the mass and distribution of weight of the object.

5. How can torque and tension be used in real-life applications?

Torque and tension are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in the construction of buildings and bridges, the operation of machinery and vehicles, and even in sports equipment like wrenches and tennis rackets. Understanding torque and tension is important for designing and building structures and machines that can withstand the forces applied to them.