1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Torque Equilibrium and Elasticity problem

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 300 kg nonuniform boom, 6.0 m long, is loosely pinned at the pivot at P. A 1000 kg
    block is suspended from the end of the boom at A. The boom forms a 30° angle with
    the horizontal, and is supported by a cable, 4.0 m long, between points D and B. Point
    B is 4.0 m from P, and point D is 4.0 m above P. The center of mass of the boom is at
    point C, which is 2.0 m from P. Find the tension in the cable, and the x- and
    y-components of the force of the pivot on the boom.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/262/50669209.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated torques clockwise and counterclockwise and set them equal to each other, which are perpendicular so using the weight I solved for the Force perpindicular

(Fw(rod)*cos(30)*2)+(Fw(block)*cos(30)*6) = Ftcos(30)*4,

this gives me the Force of tension in the rope, from which i use to split into its X and Y components, and then I get the incorrect answer.

any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Elysian,
    You get the force of friction from your equation.
    The next question is the x and y components of the force of the pivot. That force is not the same as the tension. Show your work in detail.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook