Calculate Torque for Pin: L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.

• Thread starter PoPrOcKsRoCk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pin Torque
In summary, the problem involves finding the torque required for a pin to keep a rod from rotating, given the distance from the pivot (L=100.9 cm), the mass of the rod (M=3.98 kg), and the mass hanging from the rod (m=537 g). Using the equation T=Fr, the torque of the rod and the torque of the hanging mass can be calculated and then added together to determine the total torque required for the pin.
PoPrOcKsRoCk
Torque of a pin. Please Help!

Homework Statement

How much torque must the pin exert to keep the rod from rotating? (L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.)
I attached the picture of the problem. I am unsure how to approach the problem. I am looking through my College Physics and cannot find an equation to solve this problem. Help please!

Homework Equations

Torque=distance from the pivot*the force

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    245.3 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org

Welcome to Physics Forums.

PoPrOcKsRoCk said:

Homework Statement

How much torque must the pin exert to keep the rod from rotating? (L=100.9 cm, M=3.98 kg, m=537 g.)
I attached the picture of the problem. I am unsure how to approach the problem. I am looking through my College Physics and cannot find an equation to solve this problem. Help please!

Homework Equations

Torque=distance from the pivot*the force
Okay, so based on that equation how much torque do the bar and hanging mass each exert on the pivot point (pin location)?

You may treat the bar's mass as being located at the bar's center.

I got it.

I used the equation T=Fr for the Torque of rod M and the Torque of the weight of m then added both torques.

Thank you.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to where the force is applied.

3. What are the units of torque?

The SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (Nm), but other common units include foot-pounds (ft-lb) and inch-pounds (in-lb).

4. How do I calculate torque for a pin?

To calculate torque for a pin, you will need to know the length of the pin (L), the mass of the object being rotated (M), and the mass of the pin (m). The equation is torque = (M+m)*9.8*L, where 9.8 is the acceleration due to gravity in m/s^2.

5. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative if the force applied causes an object to rotate in the opposite direction or if the direction of the force is in the opposite direction of the rotation.